My First Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSRman

Reaction score
Well as the title says, i mixed up my first extract and steeped grain brew on saturday arvo, 3.5 hours worth or something silly.. not using the kitchen stove to boil the wort again.. :)

managed to get it down to an appropriate temp, and pitched my starter, i forgot to take a SG reading, but after 24 hours it was down to 1050, and was starting to get a very pretty krousen happening... and bubbling pretty furiously..

yeah nice.. just thought i would let you all know :)

Well done GSR.
All that extra effort will really make you appreciate the beer when you taste it, and it will taste better too.

So what is the brew?

Cheers,
Doc

an irish ale i got the recipe off beertools.com for..

3kg LLME
450g Munich
50g chocolate
100g light crystal (i put that in.. because i could)

20g challenger 60min
8g goldings 15 mins
8g goldings 0 min

and im using wyeast 1084 irish ale...

my next project is a vanilla porter i think :)

GSRman

You should save/reuse the irish ale yeast after you rack...

Just in case anyone else is wondering, yes, i did save my yeast.. i made a 1.5L starter, and dumped 1L into the wort, and the remaining .5 into 4 other bottles, (in the back of the fridge now)

I also took about 250ml of wort at high-krousen.

the bottle i took from high-krousen has got 3 little spots of something on top of the fluid (hmmmm not happy jan) so i'll take some more when i rack tonight or tomorrow.. im hoping its just the bottle that i took thats nasty...

i can't give any more detail on what the spots look like.. because as i removed it from the fridge, its slipped form my grip.... glad it was in PET..

but it mixed up and bubble n stuff so i couldn't get a good look at the spots...

Back