My First Decoction

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I've never tried to do a decoction mash, always been afraid I'd screw it up big time and waste a session.

Having had Bulps hefe the other week, I decided to do one and thought, to hell with it, I'll decoct it as it already is a stepped infusion mash.

So far so good! Boiling the third pull of the mash now, everything smells alright, looks alright! The photos are of the first boil and the mash tun at that point as well.

Sorry about the crappy photos, but I only have my phone camera.

Recipe is
04-Apr-2009 Hefeweizen

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------

Brewing Date: Saturday April 04, 2009
Head Brewer: John M Fraser
Asst Brewer:
Recipe: Hefeweizen
Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (Kg): 5.50
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.24
Anticipated SRM: 3.1
Anticipated IBU: 13.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.24
Actual FG: 1.012 Plato: 3.07

Alc by Weight: 4.28 by Volume: 5.48 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 76.8 RDF 63.9 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.1 0.50 kg. Rice Hulls Japan 1.000 0
54.5 3.00 kg. Weyermann Pale Wheat Germany 1.038 2
36.4 2.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
23.00 g. Saazer Pellet 4.30 13.3 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step
Heat Type: Direct

Grain kg: 5.00
Water Qts: 11.64 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 11.02 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 2.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80 F

Dough In Temp: 0 Time: 0
Acid Rest Temp: 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp: 125 Time: 20
Intermediate Rest Temp: 145 Time: 25
Saccharification Rest Temp: 160 Time: 25
Mash-out Rest Temp: 170 Time: 20
Sparge Temp: 0 Time: 0

Runnings Stopped At: 1.010 SG 2.56 Plato

Total Mash Volume L: 14.35 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

good stuff mate. I'd like to try that one day.

I'll give some thought on an automated decoction system :D

Sounds like you have control of the situation. The most important thing to learn from your first decoction is that it's not the end of the world when you miss your target temperatures (and you will). It's also important not to get discouraged; your next decoction will go much smoother.

When I tried my first decoction an ordinary single infusion brew day took me about 6 hours, start to finished cleaning up. My first decoction (a triple decoction - I must be a masochist) took 13 hours. But I persisted and tried again (and again). In the end I managed to be able to complete a triple decoction brew in only 7 hours.

This isn't an exaggeration, but this batch will be your best tasting yet. :super:

I guess thats whats nice about having a RIMS/HERMS setup, my temps were only a couple of degrees out after adding the boiled mash back in and the system looked after the rest! And my timing has not been bad, either, started at 10am with water/grain prep and its now 1:30pm with 60 minutes of the boil yet to go. Almost on track.

Was only a couple of points off on the SG on pre-boil, but was 0.5 litre over on amount of wort collected, so that may account for it.

Smells good in the boil, but then, it always does!

John

Good on ya

I've been wanting to do one but I want to at least perfect my single infusion batch sparge on the equipment I've got.

I found this video

on decoction mash help me understand it well. I might get around to one soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work John, Have been thinking about having a crack at decocting this recipe myself mate and was wondering how it would all work using my herms setup so let us know how it turns out, Goodluck :icon_cheers:

Looks like you have had a fun day john! I did my 1st a few weeks back. Only to mashout but the experience was worth while. Cant wait todo a triple decoction weizen, pilsner or dunkel!... :icon_drool2:

Argh, after scaling the heights of hope I have crashed into the valley of disappointment.

Took a sample of the weizen I decocted over the w/e. Fermentation looks completed, s.g. is 1.018, still quite high. But problem is the taste! It has a way too clovey flavour, hardly any banana followed by a subtle but very noticeable tannin presence.

What could be wrong??? I had used that 5.2 ph buffer to make sure the ph was right and tannin should not be extracted, sparge temperature was right at 75c. Fermented at around 17c and pitched at around 12c! Had uses 3638 that smelled wonderful when pitched.

Dammit, its almost a toss out, if the tannin is noticeable in a sample, I cannot imagine what its like by the glassful.

John

Razz,
This was a batch sparge with two batches, each about the same volume, stirred in between, sparge tem 75c.

Dammit, its almost a toss out, if the tannin is noticeable in a sample, I cannot imagine what its like by the glassful.
John

Dont do it!

Give yourself a few days to think it over, what i thaught was a infection in my stout was just my palate shitting itself. and still to have an infection in the fermenter yet! :ph34r:

If its tannins, that sucks, more to the point would crush the dreams of everyone who decocts and claim they never get tannin extraction when decocting.

Maybe its a placebo, your tasting tannins because you expect tannins from a decoction?!?!? :unsure:

sorry, i have posted this originally as a separate topic, but realize this is the right place to ask my questions.

This weekend I will do a 50% malted wheat / 50% Pilsner weizen. I have done this before using a single infusion at 65c. Turned out ok. Nice flavors, pitched at 25c, and dropped to fermentation temp of 17c

I am thinking of a doing single decoction mash this time.

From reading some posts, there is a flavor enhancement from a decoction, but with modern malts only a single decoction is required.

Not sure of if I should use the decoction to raise from protein rest at 50 to mash at 65 or to get from 65 to 76 for mash out.

I was thinking:

Either:
Strike to raise to 50c hold 30 mins
Raise with immersion heater to 65 hold 30 mins
Remove 1/3 grain, and slowly boil during this 65c mash step
Add back and hopefully hit 75 for mash out hold 10 mins before draining

Or

Strike to raise to 50c hold 30 mins
Remove 1/3 grain, and slowly boil during this 50c step
Add back and get to mash temp of 65 hold 30 mins
Raise to 75 with immersion heater for mash out.

any comments

Back