My First Brew With Grains And Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey23

Reaction score
I am looking at doing the following over the weekend and am after some thoughts on the recipe:

Coopers Aus Pale Ale can
250g Crystal or Pale malt
500g LDM
250g Dextrose
15g Amarillo steeped
10g Amarillo dry hopped after 5 days

Cheers.
Corey

I am looking at doing the following over the weekend and am after some thoughts on the recipe:

Coopers Aus Pale Ale can
250g Crystal or Pale malt
500g LDM
250g Dextrose
15g Amarillo steeped
10g Amarillo dry hopped after 5 days

Cheers.
Corey
Crystal grain sounds good - check the articles at the top for instructions if you're unsure.
maybe just up the LDME to 1kg and save the dextrose for bottling.
Amarillo = yum
US-56 yeast will be perfect for this.

All the best :beer:

Crystal grain sounds good - check the articles at the top for instructions if you're unsure.
maybe just up the LDME to 1kg and save the dextrose for bottling.
Amarillo = yum
US-56 yeast will be perfect for this.

All the best :beer:

Thanks for that petesbrew. Amarillo is my favourite from what I have tried so far. I don't have a vessel I bottle from yet so should I still go with the 1kg of LDME do you think?

I'd leave the dex in and add 500gm more LDM...
look good regardless of what you do,,,what you have in original recipe will make for fine and dandy drinking....

The Crystal malt can just be steeped in hot water at about 70C for about 30 minutes. Drain and boil the liquid for about 10 to 15 minutes to sanitise it. You could add the Amarillo hops 5 or 10 minutes into a 15 minute boil.

Pale malt needs to be mashed. You need more precise temperature control, and you will need to mash for about 60 minutes or so to ensure full conversion of all the starches into sugars. You'll also need to boil the drained and sparged liquid for about 60 minutes.

I'd say, just stick with the Crystal, and the recipe as you have designed it.
I do think the Dextrose component is a good idea, to balance the Crystal and LDME.

Just thought I'd say that I agree with all the advice offered already. Bump up the malt extract, stick with the crystal and in a few weeks you'll be drinking a beer that will absolutely explode your face with its orgasmic glory.

Thanks for the info guys.
I am bottling a Mountain Goat Pale Ale (kit) that I made 2 weeks ago on Saturday, then I will clean up and get this one down that arvo or Sunday morning.

The Crystal malt can just be steeped in hot water at about 70C for about 30 minutes. Drain and boil the liquid for about 10 to 15 minutes to sanitise it. You could add the Amarillo hops 5 or 10 minutes into a 15 minute boil.

Pale malt needs to be mashed. You need more precise temperature control, and you will need to mash for about 60 minutes or so to ensure full conversion of all the starches into sugars. You'll also need to boil the drained and sparged liquid for about 60 minutes.

I'd say, just stick with the Crystal, and the recipe as you have designed it.
I do think the Dextrose component is a good idea, to balance the Crystal and LDME.

When I steep the crystal how much liquid should I do this in? Also, should I add the LDM and Dextrose to the boil before adding the hops??

Cheers.
Corey

about 2-3 litres and yes add ldm and dextrose prior to adding hops.just make sure you don't let the malt catch on the bottom of the pot,i would take it off the heat stir ldm then place back on the heat

about 2-3 litres and yes add ldm and dextrose prior to adding hops.just make sure you don't let the malt catch on the bottom of the pot,i would take it off the heat stir ldm then place back on the heat

Thanks for the DU99. Should be right to get it happening over the weekend now. ;)

Back