My first BIAB - American Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordy007

Reaction score
From my understanding, APA is quite hoppy and aromatic..? Quite a few weeks ago I did as the title states, my first BIAB. Turned out delicious! Well I think so anyways. Downside is, I only have a 20L stock pot to use :( Here is the little recipe. Might ease up on one of the hop additions next time perhaps...?

1kg 2 row pale malt
1kg maris otter
25g chinook @60 mins
20g galaxy @30 mins
20g galaxy @flameout
20g cascade dry hop for 4 days

Added to fermenter:
1.5kg can of Extra Pale Malt
1kg dry malt

Came out with an 18L batch and an OG of 1.052 & a FG of 1.014

Quite happy with the outcome, although now I want to go with a bigger setup!

Plenty of options out there can get a bit overwhelming when starting. Started a few months ago and have made some damn good beer no stuff ups so far, enjoy.

Yeah it's a little overwhelming to start off with. A lot of reading and research to be done that's for sure! Kind of just winged it, wasn't 100% sure of grains to use etc. But guessed I couldn't go wrong with PA & MO

Move your 30min galaxy to 10min. No point at 30min and in my experience the bitterness from galaxy kind of sucks.

Good for you, Jordy. I remember my first BIAB beer. I couldn't believe I could make beer that tasted so damn good. Stick with it mate, I still get a huge kick out of a quiet moment with an icy cold brew.

Can I suggest a book for you with very solid beers. Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff. Probably the best money I have spent on brewing. Get going with those recipes and then start experimenting.

Good luck, enjoy the beers. Anthony

BTW. if you would like the American pale ale recipe from that book I can scan it and send it to you mate. Just let me know.

AJS2154 said:
BTW. if you would like the American pale ale recipe from that book I can scan it and send it to you mate. Just let me know.
I might just have to take you up on that offer! I will have to have a look for that book! Thanks a lot!

captain crumpet said:
Move your 30min galaxy to 10min. No point at 30min and in my experience the bitterness from galaxy kind of sucks.
I was thinking the same thing. Although I still enjoy it, it is just a little over the top. I'll try that next time :)

Recipes sent by PM. They will work mate.....only good recipes in that book.

You will just have to adjust for your system's efficiency and differences in kettle losses. Assume you are using a calculator of some kind, so should be easy.

Cheers, Anthony

Latest posts

Back