My First BIAB Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDD

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just finished brewing my first ever all grain BIAB beer. I decided to do the Dr Smurtos golden Ale recipe as i have done the kit version before which turned out great. Will have to do a few adjustments in Brewmate in regards to evaporation % and grain absorbtion as i only ended up with 17L into the fermenter rather than 20L but apart from that everything went smoothly. Big thanks to this site and its community for all the helpful info which helped me make the jump from extract to BIAB. Here are some photos of the day.

Picture 086.JPG

Grain bill ready to mill

Picture 087.JPG

My ghetto grain mill setup

Picture 088.JPG

Heating up strike water

Picture 092.JPG

Watching some hockey while mashing. (Go Wings!)

Picture 093.JPG

Draining the grain

Picture 097.JPG

Towards the end of boil

Picture 098.JPG

In the fermenter

Well done, the more I see threads like this the less daunting it seems, I'm about to do my first biab, having visions of right royal cock ups at the moment. Still will be fun and a learning experience!

Brilliant. Sounds like it went well with no dramas. Before turning to AG it was a mystery to me. Now I wonder why I didn't start earlier. As fletcher says, you will never look back. Enjoy drinking it!

Bridges said:
Well done, the more I see threads like this the less daunting it seems, I'm about to do my first biab, having visions of right royal cock ups at the moment. Still will be fun and a learning experience!
Most likely will be a few cockups, and not just in your first one either. I'm up to probably about 10 now, give or take, and still make the odd mistake. It is enjoyable though and really pretty easy. One of the best parts for me is trying to make it simpler and more efficient each time by changing my process in one way or another.

only info i can give is just to record all your gravities and volumes and temps etc through the process. makes it a lot easier to then put these figures (losses to trub and evaporation etc) into brewmate. just makes your brew day a lot easier down the track because you can tailor and adjust your recipe so it includes these. makes it more uniform when you know what to expect :)

Can't wait to try this beer it smells amazing. Yeah definetely keeping records to help with brewmate. After i get a few brews under my belt i should be able to get a better prediction on volumes, efficiencies etc. Already planning the next one with a few adjustments so will hopefully come closer to hitting the mark on that one.

Thats your first? Damn thats good

I remember my first AG, shit everywhere, boiled too hard and was left with 15L instead of 23L

Nice drop, but the 7% ABV was a bit overpowering for a session!

Must say I find the BIAB easier than extract. Takes a bit longer but still quite easy...

Cheers

Latest posts

Back