My First Beersmith Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
I had a Macs Sassy Red tonight, several in fact, for the first time and really like it. I set upon trying to find a special bitter recipe, but there are just sooo damn many of them, I thought I'd try to create one myself in Beersmith.

The one I've come up with is based on some of the ones that I've seen, with a few tweaks. I'm using Motueka hops because that what is in the Sassy Red.

Any suggestions/criticism?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 35.96 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.90 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 26.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (4.9 EBC) Grain 1 86.1 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt - 20L (29.6 EBC) Grain 2 8.6 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 3 3.5 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 4 1.8 %
30.00 g Motueka [6.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 23.3 IBUs
15.00 g Motueka [6.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 6.4 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
15.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.2 IBUs
20.00 g Motueka [6.40 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.81 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 39.51 l of water at 70.5 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 0.00 l of water and heat to 78.0 C 78.0 C 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort

Oops, wrong section. Mod could you please move this to the AG section? Sorry.

Are you using different hops for the 10min addition to the rest of the additions?
Are you doing anything to your water chemistry? If you want to make a clone this really does make a difference to the end result. If near enough is good enough please disregard.
I don't know much about the original recipe to say whether it is a clone or not, but it looks quite drinkable. B)

Oops, wrong section. Mod could you please move this to the AG section? Sorry.

Why not replace the 60 minute hop addition with something like Warrior? It's almost exclusively for bittering anyway, and you could get away with nearly 1/3rd of the amount of Warrior hops and save the Motueka for late addition...and you'll have heaps left over for the next brew.

Are you using different hops for the 10min addition to the rest of the additions?
Are you doing anything to your water chemistry? If you want to make a clone this really does make a difference to the end result. If near enough is good enough please disregard.
I don't know much about the original recipe to say whether it is a clone or not, but it looks quite drinkable. B)

No, same hops. Just forgot to change to default AA rating in Beersmith to 6.4%

Not making a clone, wouldn't really know where to start. Just want something close and tasty. :)

Why not replace the 60 minute hop addition with something like Warrior? It's almost exclusively for bittering anyway, and you could get away with nearly 1/3rd of the amount of Warrior hops and save the Motueka for late addition...and you'll have heaps left over for the next brew.

That used to be my feeling too, but after a short chat with the good Drsmurto and manticle, I've changed my mind.

Read this - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=987749

That used to be my feeling too, but after a short chat with the good Drsmurto and manticle, I've changed my mind.

Read this - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=987749
Thanks for that link, have commented there. I only suggested Warrior for your recipe above because of the 50 grams of Motueka you plan to add later in the boil. I'd be really surprised if that didn't well and truly take charge over the relatively neutral flavour Warrior bittering addition @ 60.

We're only talking about 20 grams of hops here, so if Motueka is what you have....

Maybe add some caraaroma for that red/copper tinge.
Or use a liberal amount of carared.

Thanks for that link, have commented there. I only suggested Warrior for your recipe above because of the 50 grams of Motueka you plan to add later in the boil. I'd be really surprised if that didn't well and truly take charge over the relatively neutral flavour Warrior bittering addition @ 60.

We're only talking about 20 grams of hops here, so if Motueka is what you have....

That's one of the things I want an opinion on, am I over doing it with the hops? Is the 50g too much? Never used Motueka before...

Back