My First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgrave Brewer

Reaction score
Did my first All Grain yesterday. I had the opportunity to watch a few friends and also spent a day brewing at a microbrewery in December, so felt it was time to make the jump.

A bit of a learning curve with all the new equipment and working in my environment. Definitely need to plan things out a bit better next time and get the cellar set up properly, but it went well and I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out in the end. No big show stoppers other than my burner clogging up with the paint that dripped down as it heated up. Would be nice if they had a mention of some type of conditioning of the burners before use.

Anyhow, made a Pale ale, low IBU and high SRM and appears I hit the mark.

PaleAle_full.jpg

Looking forward to the next brewing day!

Cheers,
BB

Did my first All Grain yesterday. I had the opportunity to watch a few friends and also spent a day brewing at a microbrewery in December, so felt it was time to make the jump.

A bit of a learning curve with all the new equipment and working in my environment. Definitely need to plan things out a bit better next time and get the cellar set up properly
Cheers,
BB

Congratulations BB - You will find the 'learning curve' goes on for quite a while. There will always be something to tweak, change, add or subtract in the next brew.

Cheers, Hoges.

onya BB - fun isnt it? What recipe did you use? Thats one heluva black pale ale?
Cheers
Steve

Welcome to the Dark Side (quite literally with that brew :) )BB. Post some pics of your setup when you can.
& congrats again :super:

Cheers Ross

The picture is darker than the beer is in person, blame the old school digital camera.

It's my own recipe based on research. I probably should have gone with a known recipe for my first brew, but was feeling adventurous.

I'll post the recipe if ends up being a winner and won't if it's not (hehe), and will take some pics of my setup on the next brewing day. The camera was an afterthought. Nothing special in my gear, 50L SS Pot, 10 Gallon round MLT, Wort Chiller, Glass carboys.

I'm going to rack to a second glass carboy in a week.

BB

Welcome to the dark side.

Don't be afraid to post your recipe, even if it doesn't turn out as well as you expected. There are plenty of great brewers around here who could help you tweak it without having you feel ashamed.

:chug:

Hiya Belgrave,

Let me first congratulate and welcome you to AG! :super:

It's great to see you take the leap, knowing you've wanted to brew a better beer for some time... and when I say brew a better beer, you know I mean better than your existing brews, as well as, commercials. It's expected, with all new equipment coupled with several new procedures in the brewing process, you'll hit a minor snag or two. Seems you're sussing it out, no worries. I think most of us will attest, even at several
dozen batches or more, we're still tweaking here and there- constantly problem solving, constantly trying to improve procedure and ultimately improve the quality of our beers.

Interesting note on the conditioning of your new burner and melting paint. Thanks for that, as I'm in the market for the same. Wouldn't have expected it... hello :excl: TOXIXSHIT :excl:

------------------------------------------------------
I was one of the friends Belgrave AG brewed with. We brewed a Little Creature's Bright Ale Clone using this recipe.
Our mash efficiency could've been better (my fault). Our final volume was off as we brewed on 33C+ degree day (probably closer to 40C in my kitchen) and therefore boiled off a surprising 15% volume (or close to).

But have no fear, cracked the first 'un today and buddy, you won't be disappointed:

ready, set, go!
LCBC_1.JPG

out of focus, but the only shot i grabbed after pour to show head:
LCBC_2.JPG

mmmmm. post-first sip:
LCBC_3.JPG

outdoor shots weren't accurately grabbing the true colour, shot a couple with natural light, flash off, indoor:
LCBC_4.JPG

LCBC_5.JPG

I will give Belgrave the honours of comparatively reviewing our batch to the LCBA in this thread or here.

Slab here waiting for ya whenever you want to drop by to pickup :beer:

reVox

Mmmmmmm.....looks good reVox!!!

You're making me very thirsty. You had to post those damn pictures just to make me jealous, hehe. I'll make my best efforts to pick up the case soon. I need to hit G&G at the end of this week, so you will see me soon.

Cheers,
BB

Mmmmmmm.....looks good reVox!!!

I need to hit G&G at the end of this week, so you will see me soon.

Cheers,
BB

Yeah, me too. If you want to come to my place, I'll drive up there or meet you there. Whatever's easiest for you. Drop me a PM or email.

reVox

Back