My first AG, did i do it right?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]So I just attempted my first all grain home brew[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I was hoping to get some feedback on how to improve and anything I might have done wrong [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I have read great things about Dr Smurto’s golden ale so followed that [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] I didn’t change anything recipe wise so hopefully it works out [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stage one[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Started with 15L of strike water at 68 degrees [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added half to mash tun stirred to get the lumps out then added the second half [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Checked the temp and was 61deg so added 1 litre on 80deg it want up to 66[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Let it sit for 60 min ended at 65deg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Stage 2 [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Heated another 15L to 78Deg[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Strained about 4L until all the chunks were gone then drained into big pot[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Got about 13L I think [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added the next 15 to the mash tun, let it sit for 5 min [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Strained about 4L again till clear then into the big pot[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Finished at about 26L [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stage 3 [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Put the big pot on the stove [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Took about 20min to get to the boil[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Let boil for 30 min and scooped off the foam[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added 20g of hops at 60min to go[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added .5 tab at 15 to go[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added 15g at 10min to go[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added 15g at 5 min to go[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added 15g then turned the stove off[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Ended with about 21L[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stage 3[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Through in the cooper cooler in and tuned the hose on [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Took 35 min to get to 22deg[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Used a drill and whisk attachment to airate and it foamed up to 35L[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Added yeast to the top of foam (was a bit worried about this but read a few things that its fine)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]Ended with 20L OG 1043[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It tastes pretty good although seems a lot sweeter than I thought it would. [/SIZE]

Thanks in advance for any comments postive or negitive ill take them on board

Looks fantastic... you obviously did your reading. The set up looks very tidy, and you seemed to be very organised - I have no doubt it will be a great success!

Let us know how it pans out!

Looks pretty good.

Anything I mention is more likely tweaks or questions rather than pointing out outright errors.

When you say 'strain till chunks are gone' can you elaborate?
No real need to scoop/skim when it boils.
When you add batch sparge water, you can give it a stir before leaving 5-10 mins.

Wort is often very sweet and very bitter - fermentation and conditioning will bring those into line.

Good stuff.

manticle said:
Looks pretty good.

Anything I mention is more likely tweaks or questions rather than pointing out outright errors.

When you say 'strain till chunks are gone' can you elaborate?
No real need to scoop/skim when it boils.
When you add batch sparge water, you can give it a stir before leaving 5-10 mins.

Wort is often very sweet and very bitter - fermentation and conditioning will bring those into line.

Good stuff.
i guess chunks might not have been the right wording, more waiting untill clearer.
there were a few small particals in the first few litres
thanks for the feedback

But did you strain through a strainer or just pour some off into a jug and add gently back to the tun?

Spot on.

Best of luck - sounds like you've got it knocked on the head.

Sounds like you have the procedure down pat, only thing I see is that pvc hose in the brewery?

Back