My First Ag Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiep

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am starting to get together everything needed for my first All Grain Brew.

For now, I prefer the idea making smaller batches i.e 9litres at a time, so I have decided to follow Nick JDs recipe which is in his Move To All Grain For Thirty Bucks, A tutorial thread for those who are interested in AG thread.

I already have a 30l fermeter, but ill be using that for my first brew, which came in the Coopers DIY kit.

I am looking for the correct size /type fermenter to brew my small all grain brews. I went to have a look at Stratco and Bunnings.

Do you think this 15l water drum will be ok for brewing? It was all Bunnings had besides the 20litres ones, which were more narrow and rectangular.

I tried to looking for the 20 Willow Jerry but couldnt find anything.

Regards,
Robbie

bunnings_15.jpg

bunnings_20.jpg

Just get the 25l round type drum from bunnings then when you start brewing larger batches your set

i only have a 15l stock pot, so wont really be able to make much bigger.

Does it make any difference if its a jerry can or a cube?

Go the cube for your size batches, less headspace will be beneficial in your circumstance.

At this stage, i dont have a fermenting fridge. All i have is a cellar which has a temperature range of 21-23 degrees.

I guess if i plan to get a standard fridge, then 2 x 20l jerry cans would fit quite nicely together in the fridge?

I guess if i plan to get a standard fridge, then 2 x 20l jerry cans would fit quite nicely together in the fridge?

The 20L Jerrys (blue willow ones) are actually 23L ... you can pour 20L out of the tap before they need tipping ... and offer the best stacking arrangement for brewers.

I've currently got 20L of a 3.8% Mild fermenting in one that was made in a 19L pot, and regularly ferment as little as 12L in them.

Where can you get the 20l Blue Jerrys from? Bunnings only seemed to have the whites ones.

BTW, whats the difference between the blue and whites jerrys?

Kmart type places have the blue 20l jerry cans round my way, with the camping gear.

Where can you get the 20l Blue Jerrys from? Bunnings only seemed to have the whites ones.

Big W had the blue ones last time I looked. About $25 IIRC, but I recall their taps are a ripoff - used to be $2, now $6.

The white ones are probably fine, I haven't used them and can't vouch for them - but the lid looks different. Hell, they might be better.

I think I read someone had issues with the joins from the manufacturing on the white ones.. Might be wrong an dreamed it after a big night haha

You can get them from Kmart and big w, sometimes big w will have them cheaper than 25, also supercheap had them last time I was in there.

Kmart, super cheap auto

They're also great for no-chilling single batches.

I found they don't seal as well as regular cubic cubes

I found they don't seal as well as regular cubic cubes

Trick to getting them to seal is giving the mating surface on the lip of the threaded nozzle a bit of a seeing to. Some of them have flappy bits of plastic that mar the seal.

I get a sanding block with some 220 grit and clean up the lip.

I use the 20L white jerrys from bunnings. No issues with leaking or sealing or anything.

And I can fit 6 of them in my fermenting fridge at the same time :beerbang:

I think I read someone had issues with the joins from the manufacturing on the white ones.. Might be wrong an dreamed it after a big night haha

You can get them from Kmart and big w, sometimes big w will have them cheaper than 25, also supercheap had them last time I was in there.

BribieG had issues with the white ones. I think they had thin walls due to manufacturing, and leaked once hot worth was put in them. I've used one for 2 years now and never had an issue with leaking, so might be a case of luck of the draw.

Question: When using these types of Jerry can fermenters, how does the C02 escape if the Jerry can lids are on?

Crank lids tight then back off a few turns enough room for gas to escape then

Just use a single layer of Glad Wrap retained by a rubber band. I give the wrap a spray of starsan first but I believe some don't. Remember you'll need a good funnel as well.

BTW I use on of those 15l cubes from Bunnings for smaller batches and it works fine.

Damian.

Remember you'll need a good funnel as well.
A length of food grade silicone hose will more often be recommended for transferring hot wort than using a funnel. I'm sure lots of blokes use a funnel or even nothing and can't taste a difference.

Back