My First Ag Brew - Thanks Nick :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took a gravity reading and it was about 1011 after 5 days in fermenter. Seems a bit high.. but this could be due to the slow start as the first 1.5 days the fermenter was sitting in very cold water (mistake i made by putting in too much ice in eskey).

With regards to the taste...WOW! (enough said).

robbiep said:
With regards to the taste...WOW! (enough said).
You know, I just randomly made that recipe up to use a full range of ingredients. I'm still amazed how many people have made it now. Had I thought about it a bit I should have known that those new to AG wouldn't want to put their own recipe together. I suppose it's an American Golden Ale.

1.011 sounds like final gravity to me. Give it a few days to make sure.

robbiep said:
Do you recon its possible to make bigger batches, say 15 liters, using a 15l stock pot?

My thinking would be to use more grain hence more concentrated, and add more water when putting in fermenter.

I have done 54L out of a 40L urn. Used a 19L BigW pot to boil water then chucked it into the freezer with gladwrap, the lid, then more gladwrap the night before. Took it out when i started brewing and by the end it was just starting to melt with unfrozen pockets in there so that I could break it up to fit through the top of my fermenter. Added that into the fermenter and drained my high gravity wort ontop of it after the boil.

You can calculate how much ice you need to hit your numbers and once my urn was empty the wort was at 22 degrees so it elimnated using my immersion chiller and also didn't waste any water. Beer tastes really good to me and has been well received by friends as well.

Almost 8 days in fermenter and gravity is 1010... tempted to bottle it tomorrow as im keen to have a few for Australia day :)

Would that be rushing things?

Since you're the gazzillionth person to be stoked on the Thirty Buck thread ... I really should re-write it with Smurto's GA or another commercial clone and include a few tweaks.

Nick JD said:
Since you're the gazzillionth person to be stoked on the Thirty Buck thread ... I really should re-write it with Smurto's GA or another commercial clone and include a few tweaks.
That would be awesome... i'll be keeping my eyes open :)

robbiep said:
That would be awesome... i'll be keeping my eyes open :)
Once the recipe DB is back up an running, check it out. Once you know the process for doing BIAB, you can brew pretty much anything. Using Nick's instructions, you can swap the recipe for anything in there, even try to make your own. Any questions, you know there are plenty of people here more than willing to help.

Latest posts

Back