My Firsrt Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
So i have decided on a First brew after watching some utube and reading about.....

I'm going to do a Coopers Canadian Blonde with 1.2kg of light DME I'd be open to any ideas of adding any hops to it.

also i would like to know from anyone who has done this kit to anything they recommend with it.

Im trying to source an old fridge to ferment it in to regulate the temp as it might get a bit warm in my garage if its just sitting up on the bench.

Also weather to use the kit yeast or get some other stuff i'm going to order my DME online so if anyone could give me a good yeast to use with this kit, Iv seen a lot of people like the US-05 obviously being a noob im not sure about yeasts and what the differences are yet, however the general concencus is that the ones that come with the kits arent the best.......

Hopefully will be brewing it next weekend.....

Like some very wise people on the forum told me with my first brew...keep it simple.

Don't worry about pissing around with hops and yeast just yet, get the basics right first. The yeast that comes with the kit is just fine for now.

Concentrate on getting the processes right, the temp steady, and sanitation methods down. You can mess around with all the other stuff on the next brew. :)

Like some very wise people on the forum told me with my first brew...keep it simple.

Don't worry about pissing around with hops and yeast just yet, get the basics right first. The yeast that comes with the kit is just fine for now.

Concentrate on getting the processes right, the temp steady, and sanitation methods down. You can mess around with all the other stuff on the next brew. :)

Cheers Wbosher, I'll Grab a Microbrew kit and the Blonde can and some DME and settle on that, get it fermented and bottled and see how it works out. :chug:

I agree with wbosher to do a couple of basic kit recipes first and concentrate more on sanitation and fermentation processes and get a feel for how everything works.

That being said, the Canadian blonde kit is probably my favourite to experiment as it provides a nice backbone without getting in the way of any flavours you're trying to discover. The best beer I've made to date used this kit with honey, link here. I've got an enhanced version ready to bottle which has some Carapils and Cascade hops added.

Happy brewing mate and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Cheers,
Mosto

I agree with wbosher to do a couple of basic kit recipes first and concentrate more on sanitation and fermentation processes and get a feel for how everything works.

That being said, the Canadian blonde kit is probably my favourite to experiment as it provides a nice backbone without getting in the way of any flavours you're trying to discover. The best beer I've made to date used this kit with honey, link here. I've got an enhanced version ready to bottle which has some Carapils and Cascade hops added.

Happy brewing mate and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Cheers,
Mosto

Cheers Mate!!

Well Decided today to go for a quick drive down to G+G in Yarraville...

What a great little shop busy busy busy and got myself a Begineers Kit that come with a Fresh Wort Kit as well.

Happy camper!!!!! Watch this space

Home_Brewing_Kit.jpg

Well Decided today to go for a quick drive down to G+G in Yarraville...

What a great little shop busy busy busy and got myself a Begineers Kit that come with a Fresh Wort Kit as well.

Happy camper!!!!! Watch this space

View attachment 58372

Only two pieces of advice for the first brew.

1: Thorough cleaning & sanitisation of everything that will come in contact with the wort.
2: Keep fermentation temperatures as stable as possible (no crazy hot weather in Melbs for the next week so that shouldn't be too hard).

Good luck.

Only two pieces of advice for the first brew.

1: Thorough cleaning & sanitisation of everything that will come in contact with the wort.
2: Keep fermentation temperatures as stable as possible (no crazy hot weather in Melbs for the next week so that shouldn't be too hard).

Good luck.

I pitched yeast at 25c which is what the wort ended up at when i made it up got it down to 22 now hoping it will be at 20c by morning and that where i can keep it.

we went our for dinner and i got home to find airlock kicking at bout 8 sec intervals (6h in) got a fan blowing on it to cool it....

I sainitised everything for 5 odd mins with the sainiterser that come with the kit and rinsed fermenter with boiling water from the kettle before adding wort.

I then added yeast to foam on top and let it sit for 15 min the stirred filled airlock with boiling water and sit it in place. i had fermenter full of sainitiser as i put the tap in that come out of a sainitiser bath, also washed hands with dettol hand scrub and all that so i think my saintary practices are up there....

Tad :drinks: atm as im trying to catchup on coopers longnecks to put my brew into near knocked a box tonight so will have like 18 in stock and a memeber has some for me so should have enough by next sunday when i bottle n put the next brew in.......

I pitched yeast at 25c which is what the wort ended up at when i made it up got it down to 22 now hoping it will be at 20c by morning and that where i can keep it.

we went our for dinner and i got home to find airlock kicking at bout 8 sec intervals (6h in) got a fan blowing on it to cool it....

I sainitised everything for 5 odd mins with the sainiterser that come with the kit and rinsed fermenter with boiling water from the kettle before adding wort.

I then added yeast to foam on top and let it sit for 15 min the stirred filled airlock with boiling water and sit it in place. i had fermenter full of sainitiser as i put the tap in that come out of a sainitiser bath, also washed hands with dettol hand scrub and all that so i think my saintary practices are up there....

Tad :drinks: atm as im trying to catchup on coopers longnecks to put my brew into near knocked a box tonight so will have like 18 in stock and a memeber has some for me so should have enough by next sunday when i bottle n put the next brew in.......
Sounds like you're doing it all right! As far as temp control, in north QLD I have an old fridge that doesn't go but has good seals. Just use frozen 2 - 3 lt juice bottles and change them out morning and knight. Seems to keep it to low 20C temps.
Canadian blond is a perfectly fine drop, even with the coopers yeast. In fact I've only ever used the yeast that comes with the coopers cans and never had any real issues.

Best of luck
Steve

Back