My Fermenter Is Empty So.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
I have been scouring the web looking for a lager recipe that is within my current capabilities and that does not require a huge amount of grain due to my lack of a decent crush...Anyway...I have come up with this

3.5 kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
2.0 oz Hallertauer Hops, 60 minutes
0.5 oz German Tettnanger Hops, 5 minutes
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (grain)
70 g Chocolate Malt (grain)

Lager Yeast

This is an attempt at an Octoberfest and having lived in Germany for 2 years it has a lot to live up to. :eek:

What do you reckon to the recipe as a whole and any advice on the yeast? I am thinking of going for a munich liquid yeast.

Also I am not in a position to do proper lagering at the moment, how much difference will that make?

Cheers guys.

No replies...I feel like a social leper. :ph34r:

Maybe do a search for doc's octoberfest, Ross made this not too long ago and it was beautiful!

It was all grain but you could substitue the base grains for LME

Thanks for the replies there guys.

I am only throwing a few ideas about at the moment and am open to suggestions.
Slugger, I am having trouble finding anything on that Oktoberfest you mentioned there, any chance of a link anyone?

:)

ODDBALL said:
Slugger, I am having trouble finding anything on that Oktoberfest you mentioned there, any chance of a link anyone?

:)
[post="62832"][/post]​
Checkout this topic Oddball.

Beers,
Doc

ODDBALL said:
I have been scouring the web looking for a lager recipe that is within my current capabilities and that does not require a huge amount of grain due to my lack of a decent crush...Anyway...I have come up with this
3.5 kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
2.0 oz Hallertauer Hops, 60 minutes
0.5 oz German Tettnanger Hops, 5 minutes
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (grain)
70 g Chocolate Malt (grain)
Lager Yeast
[post="62560"][/post]​

G'day Oddball, just read your thread...
I'm doing some Czech Pils and German Lagers over the next couple of weekends as it's a great time to lager in my cold Canberra cellar right now.
As for your recipe, I'd swap the crystal malt with 400g of Weyermann Carapils / Dextrin Malt. It'll give you body but it won't darken the beer at all - its about 3 EBC from memory. Crystal malt is, IMHO, not really to style for a German Lager, but I note that you're not doing a mash so I suppose you could keep the Xtal and steep it with the carapils in a bag before the boil. Just make sure that the Carapils you buy can be steeped, ie, it isn't Briess Carapils...Get Weyermann Carapils if you can - it's great in any beer.
Are you going to use a liquid or dry Lager yeast? If you are doing a liquid yeast, may I suggest you look at something like the Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast? Its a favourite of mine and makes a nice malty brew and can happily lager beer up to 14C. 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast is nice too, but I find it a bit more difficult to manage during fermentation - temp control and patience is important with these strains if you want to make an authentic lager...
A good equivalent dry yeast is the DCL W34/70 strain, which also comes from Weihenstephan, Germany...Failing that, I'd go for S-189 and S-23 in that order.
As for the hops, I don't know what A/A% rating your Halletauer is but you might want to use 28g of Northern Brewer for bittering and then split the Hallertauer over the 30 and 15 minute mark of the boil and keep the Tettnanger for the last 5 as planned. I use Yakima Northern Brewer pellets and their bittering notes nicely complement the flavours and aromas of Hallertauer and Tettnanger, IMHO.
Have fun!
Cheers,
TL

Cheers for the replies there guys. A lot to chew over and take in.

I will be going to the HBS over the weekend so I will see what I can get and mix and match whatever they have at hand.

Thanks again. :)

Back