my fermentation with the 1st use of a tilt hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozdevil

Reaction score
hey all,

I'm a little concerned about my xpa clone

this was the 1st time using the tilt and i should have mucked around to understand it a bit more then messing with it during the fermentation

my beer started at 1.062 in the fermzilla on Sunday which was captured on my phone and i thought i am going to need my phone through the week for work as i drive interstate... So i fired up a tablet i had on monday around lunch time and started to read at 1.060

i get home from interstate tonight 20/10/2020) looked on my tablet that is reading the tilt its sitting on 1.000

anyway here is the report from the tilt so far
mytiltlt.jpg

chart.png

a copy of the chart

i had the fermzilla at 7.5 psi

Should i dry hop this tomorrow 21/10/2020?

Cheers and Beers ozdevil

I've got a Tilt and I think they're fantastic, but I don't think you should ever read too much into the accuracy of those readings as they can usually be off by a couple of points or more. Most of the time a large clump of yeast will be sitting on the top of it impacting the readings.

Use the graph as your point of reference and use the Tilt to know when "it's done" or almost done. I'd say your ferment is probably done. You could shake the Fermzilla and see what difference it makes as it might clear up some of the junk sitting on top of the Tilt. Seems like you had a pretty fast ferment but then again you fermented at a pretty warm temperature.

I've got a Tilt and I think they're fantastic, but I don't think you should ever read too much into the accuracy of those readings as they can usually be off by a couple of points or more. Most of the time a large clump of yeast will be sitting on the top of it impacting the readings.

Use the graph as your point of reference and use the Tilt to know when "it's done" or almost done. I'd say your ferment is probably done. You could shake the Fermzilla and see what difference it makes as it might clear up some of the junk sitting on top of the Tilt. Seems like you had a pretty fast ferment but then again you fermented at a pretty warm temperature.

i get they are not the accurate and yes it was fermented arather high for my liking as i never used a fermenting fridge or heat belt or heat source just relied on the victorian temps that really isnt the warmest yet and was in a cool area of the house that doesnt get much sun.

but i think the tilts are great i am going to get a couple more for my other fermenters and yes was more going on the graph then the numbers

Do Tilts now have Wifi? or is it still bluetooth?

I find it astonishing that a device that has such a high premium lacks basic wifi logging functionality and if you want constant logging you need to fork out more expense for a Raspberry Pi.

Did you dry hop it? Either hops or yeast/trub has settled on it. Throws it off. Generally happens to mine when I dry hop.

I find it astonishing that a device that has such a high premium lacks basic wifi logging functionality and if you want constant logging you need to fork out more expense for a Raspberry Pi.

mine automatic logged onced i worked it out and didnt use a raspberry pi and i still think it works via blootooth

i dont mind this way to be honest where my fermenter to tablet is only 2 mters if that away and once set up every 15 minutes it logging to the cloud

be alot different if i was the other end of the house though , but my tablet isnt used for anything other then maybe brewfather and the tilt

I'm not an aeronautical engineer by any stretc, but I would assume that wifi uses far more battery than Bluetooth. Also a raspberry pi zero w is $19 not exactly a huge outlay.

As for getting more tilts for other fermenters, I would suggest spending the money on a fermentation fridge. It's probably the biggest step you can take outside of good sanitation.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer by any stretc, but I would assume that wifi uses far more battery than Bluetooth. Also a raspberry pi zero w is $19 not exactly a huge outlay.

As for getting more tilts for other fermenters, I would suggest spending the money on a fermentation fridge. It's probably the biggest step you can take outside of good sanitation.

its having the room in the house mate for it.. i want one but the cheese and kisses is already giving me the lectures its not happening, i even tried to say she can get a new car for a $30 fermenting fridge for me still a fat zippo

I haven't replaced the battery in my Tilt since I got it over a year ago, probably a beer a month. I would imagine if it had WiFi it wouldn't have enough or a 2 week ferment.

its having the room in the house mate for it.. i want one but the cheese and kisses is already giving me the lectures its not happening, i even tried to say she can get a new car for a $30 fermenting fridge for me still a fat zippo
Get a new... house. Hahah nah fair enough. Might need to look at the compact Keg King Thermenters if they ever release them!

I haven't replaced the battery in my Tilt since I got it over a year ago, probably a beer a month.

Same here. Though getting on for two years. I have a spare battery ready to go cos it must be about due.

I run a Rasberry Pi as well for logging. The integration with Brewfather is seamless. And setting up the Pi was a cheap, fun and easy little project.

It was pretty cool to be in Saudi Arabia and able to look in on how my beer was going! (just can’t tell anyone).

Attachments

• 7D8111CE-CBA9-49DB-9D16-9244887DD0C1.jpeg
    7D8111CE-CBA9-49DB-9D16-9244887DD0C1.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
Same here. Though getting on for two years. I have a spare battery ready to go cos it must be about due.

I run a Rasberry Pi as well for logging. The integration with Brewfather is seamless. And setting up the Pi was a cheap, fun and easy little project.

It was pretty cool to be in Saudi Arabia and able to look in on how my beer was going! (just can’t tell anyone).
I'm lucky if my battery lasts one month!

FYI, mines a V2.

Bluetooth isn’t working very hard. The Pi is within 30 cms of the tilt.

FYI, mines a V2.

Bluetooth isn’t working very hard. The Pi is within 30 cms of the tilt.
Yeah I have a V3, pi is close by. I find it works really well.

The ispindel is wifi but it's rechargeable.

is there any benifits on just bluetoothing the tilt to a pc or getting a raspberry pi

as i am considering a raspberry pi for the tilt

is there any benifits on just bluetoothing the tilt to a pc or getting a raspberry pi

as i am considering a raspberry pi for the tilt

pi zero is super small, cheap and runs off 5v. Can check it on your phone or pc over the same network or like others have said integrates into brewfather very well. Seems pointless to me to have a pc running close by constantly when you get the same result from something smaller than your hand.

Agree with huez. My tilt was like $19 and a cover cost like $4. You do need an SD card which was like $5 so probably sub $30 and it's easy peasy!

Latest posts

Back