My Extinguisher Broke !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRK!

I'd just picked up a few little dooflickies to finish up my flow regulator for my keg system from Roach (thanks mate) ... came home keen to connect them up ......

Squeezed the handle of the extinguisher and there was a loud / fast spurt of gas - the pin that the handle depresses had broken in half !!!! :blink: :unsure:

It's still sealed but it can't be used any more as the pin does not reach high enough to be depressed by the handle

I'd only bought the extinguisher the other month so I'll take it back and see what they say.

I guess this comes from using something in a way it's not intended.

Sorry a mech. fitter talking here

Replace the pin? <_< <_<

Batz :ph34r:

Take it back then they may realise that there produce is crap
Have had dealings at work with fire extinguisher and the nice companys that own them and all I can say is thank god you only use them once or twice most the valve etc are rubbish chinesse gear they meet the SAA requirements but thats it and dont get me started on whos sets the SAA rules you think the mob are crooks..

sintax

The half of the pin that broke off went flying ... and i haven't been able to find it. The rest of the pin is still in the hole.

I'll have a good look for the pin tomorrow.

The dip tube had been still in, but I don't see how that would be a prob? Obviously the head must be able to handle liquid co2 or else they wouldn't be made with a dip tube.
In my experience, using short bursts only was fine with my reg ... at least ... till now :angry:

Boots knock out the broken pin , if you find the other bit good
Otherwise measure it up and PM me , I'll make you a nice stainless replacement one

Batz :ph34r:

Hey Boots!

Very generous offer from Batz re the pin.
Did you use it (the ext) upside down?

Dave

Boots,

If the dip tube is still in it will force the liquid up to the head....(I hear you you saying "yeah and?") . In normal operation the liquid flows to an open end, not a closed system.

Hydraulics can be a Biatch.

When it hits your reg it warms and tries to go to gas, if its got nowhere to go it,will pick your weakest point and escape; or in your case force the spindle into the underside of the handle, snapping the end off it.

Hence the reason to use the extinguisher upside-down. The liquid boils off to a gas in the bottom of the bottle(upside-down). It then travels down the dip tube to the head. When it hits the restriction it will have to go to liquid or wait till it can get out; and there wont be enough pressure to force it to go back to liquid form and cause the hydraulic lock and break bits.

On second thoughts..if Batz is going to turn up a part for you ,send him the head and get him to make a socket to suit the bottle and drill a 1/2"BSP thread thru the guts of it and then you can set up a high pressure ball valve,sockets and elbow.

Thanks for the offer Batz, and the info Linz - when i got the extinguisher I did pose the q. either here, on this board, or somewhere anyway, as to the exact reason why upside down was necessary - and didn't really get an answer as good as Linz's at the time. The common answer was that our regulators don't like liquid Co2 - i made the assumption this was because of temp, and thought that short bursts should be ok - i have now learnt my lesson :angry: although it did take 3 kegs for it to happen.

Still couldn't find the wayward half of the pin - but will have a go at getting the rest out tonight.

Thanks again for the help. and nice one sos ;)

Boots...

If its the spindle, you wont be able to get it out without discharging the gas/liquid all over yourself(VERY F$#@%ING DANGEROUS!!!!)[Wormald brand heads have a nut under the handle, that surrounds the spindle..This is holding the bottle pressure behind it!!!]

Do you have a pic of the problem???

Cheers Linz,
I tipped the extinguisher upside down and the rest of the pin didn't drop out, so I didn't want to screw around with it (thinking along the same lines as you) and left it in there.

I'm gonna ring the place I got it from and see what they suggest before I do anything else. If they're not very helpful, I'll steal the digicam from work and get a photo of it - though there's not much to see.

Inside the shaft that holds the pin, I can see the top of what I assume to be either the other half of the pin, or a second pin - it appears to have a tapered top section which thins down to a point.

Thanks again - I'll post back with what the Fire mob say.

Boots

I rang the mob i got it from, and explained what has happened, and he said it'd probably be able to be fixed under a warranty thing (I'd explained at time of buying how I was going to be using the extinguisher - and they'd said themselves that it should be fine to operate standing up with a reg)

BUT ... they won't be able to look at it till after new years because their techs are on holidays....

Good news!

The great peeps at Adelaide Fire Control are fixing it as i type.

Coz it was only bought a few months ago, and when I bought it they said they couldn't see any probs with the dip tube staying in, they're doing it for free, and will also remove the dip tube for me so it won't happen again.

Apparently the spindle will need replacing.

I left it there so they didn't have to rush it but I should be pouring by the end of the week :chug: :chug:

So - good service from AFC if anyone is interested in a Fire Ext.

Thanks for the help and info everyone, and thanks batz for the offer.

I love happy endings :D

OK - this is subject to confirmation - but one of the guys who works at RAAF Edinburgh - just bought a keg system off me prior to Xmas.

He contacted the Air Liquide Depot just round the corner to get his bottle. He told them he wanted Ali Gal 2 gas for Home Brew.
He was initially quoted the 108.00 a year for rental - but was then informed that there has been a price change.

He was allowed the gas bottle - 10kg - for 50.00 NO RENT....
All he has to do is bring the empty gas bottle back in - swap it over for a full 10 kg one and pay 50.00 - no rent....

He is getting me the phone number and name of the person who served him... So far Adelaide Keggers - i will find out and will hopefully be able to pick some more up...

SO - if you contact Air Liquide - there might not be any rental due anymore...

Will keep you posted....

OK - Rang Airliqide = error where 2 people got DL Size cylinders for 50.00 with no rent....

Lucky Buggers....

SO - still need to pay rent or buy your own cylinder/fire extinguisher.

Hey Guys,

Re: my 'Co2 for kegs - where to get?' thread, Snow had directed me towards a fire protection outfit in the Bris area that will fit an extinguisher with the parts needed to connect it to a normal reg. Is this usually the case? Do these bits then replace the handle/squirt mechanism? Or is it a fitting on the extinguisher hose?

Cheers,

ToS

ToS,

Blaze don't modify the head or handle, they just remove the dip tube for you. The head doesn't need modification, as it will fit a standard CO2 reg. They just have to be on the lookout for the right kind of cylinder for you.

- Snow

So I shouldn't invest in a cheap ordinary Co2 cylinder if I see one, because it won't be the right kind?

Cheers

ToS

Back