My Dentist Is A Hero

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Top front middle incisor disintegrated a couple of years ago - it had been weakened from a previous root canal and massive filling and just fell apart after 20 years so good value for money I suppose. So there I was with a gappy tooth which is not good for going to interviews or interacting with the public. Two dentists told me that it would not be possible to do a crown and the tooth remnant needed to be removed and get a dental single tooth flip plate to wear as a cosmetic thing when required.

I work in Fortitude Valley (Chinatown) and popped into Chinatown Dental on a whim, Dr Kelvin Chang said "burrshit, I fix you tooth leal good" - that's a lie, he speaks perfect British English (Hong Kong of course). He did a heroic metal post implant thingo into the existing root canal and restored my smile to perfect again for $1300 instead of $6000 for the full implant into bone thing. It's going great after 2 years.

This year I went back the other day with a broken tooth expecting a thousand dollar bill at least. "Nah I'll fix that in ten minutes, new restorative materials have come onto the market" and half an hour later I had three fillings he had discovered, including the offending tooth fixed for a total cost of $390.

Now local Bribie Island dentists go something like this:
Book you in for an inspection and xray and spit you out minus $150 and nothing done for your condition as you are exactly in the same condition as when you walked in.
Then they dribble out the treatment and charge you $200 per filling and expect you to be grateful for ripping you off a Grand for a few fillings.

My dentist racked me back in the chair, said "this is what we need to do, giving you a little injection now" and wham, back on the street thirty minutes later fixed up for less than half the cost.

Moral, shop around - AFAIK I am the only Euro patient at Chinatown Dental - if you are in Brisbane, give them a go. Kelvin the man.

might be worth the drive from Taree at those prices!

Bribie, need to mention your name to get good rates? :huh: :p

mmmmm new teeff in briz might get me too the swap ,, been looking at Phillipines for teeff work ... cheers

FFS. My front tooth got knocked out in a bike accident 8 years ago. Since then I've spent well over 10 grand and STILL don't have an actual tooth in there. 2 weeks time I should finally have one after 2 failed implants, multiple bone and gum grafts, hundreds of amoxyillan tablets (and panadeine forte tablets)... But I'm not holding my breath. This whole dental biz is a scam of the highest order.

FFS. My front tooth got knocked out in a bike accident 8 years ago. Since then I've spent well over 10 grand and STILL don't have an actual tooth in there. 2 weeks time I should finally have one after 2 failed implants, multiple bone and gum grafts, hundreds of amoxyillan tablets (and panadeine forte tablets)... But I'm not holding my breath. This whole dental biz is a scam of the highest order.

Should have cut your losses and grabbed a Collingwood membership there Zebba, I believe a toothless smile qualifies you straight-away!!! :lol:

Cheers SJ

Should have cut your losses and grabbed a Collingwood membership there Zebba, I believe a toothless smile qualifies you straight-away!!! :lol:

Cheers SJ
There is a line. This "suggestion" has crossed it :angry:

(I actually lol'd) :)

FFS. My front tooth got knocked out in a bike accident 8 years ago. Since then I've spent well over 10 grand and STILL don't have an actual tooth in there.

deliverance_teeth.jpg

He's got a real purrdy mouth, ain't he? :icon_cheers:

I've got at least 30 kilos on that guy... Other than that, he could be my brother. AND my uncle.

Cost me $175.00 for scale and polish not bad money for 10 minutes in the chair.

I did hear that Thailand is a good place to go for dental treatment.

nothing like a toothy grin NOT

I'll have two pints of whatever he is drinking

Very Good pic a classic Eorish drinker.

Back