My Cultured Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys

I recently cultured some Coopers yeast, 6 stubbies worth, Now its in a flagon, All finished, About 2 weeks later

BEFORE i pitch, do i need to feed it? like another 150g or so of LME boiled and cooled??? then do i just throw the lot in???

Is there like a use by date on it? its been sitting there for a while, after 1 week i added a little more LME boiled and cooled, (about 100grams)

I havent buggered it up have i??? Or am i simply wasting my time, Im doing it to try to remake a pale ale.....obviously :)

Cheers
Ben

Haven't cultured up a coopers, but the yeast starters I've made with white labs I just pitch after a couple of days. I usually make them up to a litre or two.

The yeast will feed on the malt in your wort, so you shouldn't need to add any more extract.

You seeing any activity in the starter?

Wreck.

ben_sa said:
Hey guys

I recently cultured some Coopers yeast, 6 stubbies worth, Now its in a flagon, All finished, About 2 weeks later

BEFORE i pitch, do i need to feed it? like another 150g or so of LME boiled and cooled??? then do i just throw the lot in???

Is there like a use by date on it? its been sitting there for a while, after 1 week i added a little more LME boiled and cooled, (about 100grams)

I havent buggered it up have i??? Or am i simply wasting my time, Im doing it to try to remake a pale ale.....obviously :)

Cheers
Ben
Taste and smell it. Does it taste like yeast? Does it smell like yeast?

If so, its fine.

If theres any sour (vinegar) like tastes, its infected.

Why did it take 2 weeks to make though? Should only take a few days, ie:

make wort, aerate, pitch yeast
wait till high krausen, add more wort, aerate
wait till high krausen again, then pitch into brew.

"make wort, aerate, pitch yeast
wait till high krausen, add more wort, aerate
wait till high krausen again, then pitch into brew"

Can you explain exactly what this means??? Im still a newbie lol :)

I make my brew up, Pitch the yeast..... thats where i get stuck??? whats the rest mean exactly?

Have a look at these. Might help.

http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=11

http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=9

This is pretty much how I do it, except I don't have an airlock on the bottles. I use the PET bottles I got with my coopers kit, and squeeze them before sealing, as the pressure builds, they expand back out, and I let a bit of the gas off. I do the same with a 2L coke bottle when I'm stepping up my starter a couple of days before brewing.

Wreck.

so, Lets say i want to make a brew on saturday (for example)

On friday, I should dissolve some more LME and add to my flagon, Then aerate, and the next day, when the yeast is active, Pitch into my Wort?

Correct?

that's it ben. Just add 100grams on friday.

Back