My Cube Smells Terrible!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Got a bit of an issue. Brewing at the moment and I'm doing a protein rest right now, so I have a few hours before it becomes urgent!

Anyway, my cube has been sitting out on the balcony for about 9 days since I had people over for my birthday and cubes aren't that attractive.

I opened it up and was hit by a really bad smell. I don't know what it could be but it smells awful. The seal on the lid had also attached itself to the top of the cube, wondering if it could be heat.

It almost smells acidic. Has anybody had a similar occurrence, and if so, how did you solve it? I know bleach isn't ideal, but would giving it a good shaking with some bleach inside help it?

I'm not sure what I'll do if I can't salvage the cube. I guess I could try and seal up the fermenter as best as possible?

Thanks guys!

Did you wash it after you last used it? The best way to get the most life out of them is to not be a slacker and the moment they're empty give them a full clean and get a dose of starsan in there to keep them sanitary until you next use them.

Hot water and napisan. What do you normally clean your cubes with?

edited: And finish with some starsan

i'd be napisanning, shaking the bejesus out of it, rinsing, and sanitising.... and hoping for the best

I'd send someone to get a new one. Why risk a whole batch on an iffy cube?

Sodium percarb and completely fill with boiling water to soak. Rinse well and starsan. Smell, run some hot water through, taste the water.

If that doesn't work - new one if possible, pot chill in fridge covered with foil if not.

for bad smells i'd use hot water and napisan.

you can then rinse a few times through with boiling water (but be VERY careful when shaking and release the steam too) to help remove it but it will take a few goes if your cube has been frying in the sun i'm guessing

EDIT: beaten by manticle...do what he says mate. the boiling water helped me once before. but took a few goes.

Careful with shaking - creates pressure - some is good but too much can burst the cube and if you fill, there's no need to shake.

Reuse the water in the washing machine or bath or somesuch if you can.

Like everyone else has said, hot water and nappisan
a second run through if need be

He's brewing now, guys.

Anyone local?

I left a cube dirty for a few days (accidentally) and when I went to clean it noticed there was mould inside. Took a few soaks with boiling hot water and napisan as well as shaking the shit out of it til my arms got tired, but came good. kept emptying it and partly filling with fresh boiling water to remove the scum. Last time I will forget to do that...

edit: spelling

bum said:
He's brewing now, guys.

Anyone local?
Local to where?

You can easily boil water and fill a cube with sodium percarb, empty, rinse and sanitise in the time a brew takes. I've done it before at flameout (I let rest for 20, whirlpool, rest again then cube - wort sits at 80+ degrees).

Thanks guys, been trying to get the smell out since first recommendations, but to no avail. Smell is still very strong. Looks like this cube is out of action, for tonight at least. I understand it's not ideal, but could I use the fermenter to no chill until tomorrow?

I guess I'd have to transfer the wort into something else tomorrow and scrub the fermenter before I put the wort back in for fermenting?

Thanks guys! A disaster free brew day has yet to occur!

Sanitise your fermenter, drain hot wort into it when cool add yeast you should be fine. I wouldn’t be toying with transferring cold wort risking infection. I have personally left it in the kettle before and drained/pitched the next day with no problems.

Thanks Mikey!

Do you think putting it straight into the fermenter or leaving it in the urn overnight would be the better option?

Would whirlpooling be of any use if I left it in the urn overnight?

I'd leave it in the urn mate. Wrap some cling film around the lid to seal it up and cover any vent holes while it is still boiling hot. In the morning just drop it straight into your fementer and add yeast, If you 'cube' it into the fermenter it is a total pain to aerate. I have done it both ways (cube in fermenter and leave in urn) with success. I am pretty sure plenty of people routinely leave it in the kettle sealed up over night to cool.

I'd be careful doing that...
Someone posted pics a while ago where they'd sealed hot wort in their urn with gladwrap and the lid, and when the air in the urn contracted, the whole thing buckled and bent the urn

Chuck the cube, chill in the kettle.

If you did transfer to the fermenter, there is no need to transfer again. Cover and add yeast when cool.

Back