My Crush

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDBALL

Reaction score
I think I need a mill. I crushed half a Kilo with a rolling pin this morning and it was a painful experience, even worse half the grain turned to dust while the other half refused to break. :rolleyes:
On top of that the Safale 04 I pitched has yet to spring into action. :unsure:

DSCF0005.JPG

or get the homebrew shop to crush it for you

Jazman said:
or get the homebrew shop to crush it for you
[post="61317"][/post]​

At least until you have been grain brewing for a while. Probably easiest until you start getting grain in bulk and doing AG.

yep, you need a mill alright !
I got a Corona mill (dirt cheap) and chearfull !
I buy bulk grain, a crack at my leasure.........

I am makinh some mills for sale.

Look up the other posts on mills for info.

I will post some more quick picks.

THey are $250.

316 Stainless Steel rollers, 2 inch dis, 8 inches long.

They look like this.

Also a pic of the cruch with 100% IMC munich malt. I have found this stuff harder to crack and keep the husks whole but my mill does it. It looks like you havnt even cracked it with pale malts but i get 80% efficiency, smooth clear beer and a fast sparge.

Email me if you keen. I have the materials for 4 nills and have 3 people keen.

Still making them in my spare time so might be a bit of a wait but they will crack 6kg of grain in 1 min with a motor on them.

cheers

homebrewworld.com said:
yep, you need a mill alright !
I got a Corona mill (dirt cheap) and chearfull !
I buy bulk grain, a crack at my leasure.........
[post="61325"][/post]​

Yay, go the corona - for that real handcrafted sensation :p .

Also you can sometimes find them at under $70, so you can afford to start with one, whilst you research the other options and build up your savings.

If local homebrew shops can't help, Italian and good continental delis might.

Might be sold under the porket brnad name.

I am in the process of having a copy of the crankenstein 2 roller miller engineered.
With the exception of the rollers will be drop in and removable.

I wlll happilly post pics when it is all done.

Hopefully I will make a frame and fit a washing machine motor to it via a pulley.

That's a terrible crush sosman, that is a severely torn husk near the top there... :p

Tony, I'd be interested to know if you maintain a good crush throwing 6kg through in 1 minute with a motor.

If I was getting a mill again (have a Crank and Stein), I'd go for Tony's. Tony's suggestion of slightly moistening the grain prior to crushing works a treat, Sosman looks like he could do well to give it a go :)

Edit: maybe I should sell my CrankandStein and get 2X8in of 316 Stainless Steel. B)

Geez, Sosman, it looks like you've got some cockroach in there :blink:. You haven't gone down that path have you?

- Snow

nonicman said:
ODDBALL said:
My rolling pin does a better job than that mate. :p

Going by the photographic evidence I would beg to differ :)
[post="61803"][/post]​
I guess that is your perogative but if my crush looked like Sos's I would be really dissapointed. Mine is not bad considering it was done with a $1 Rolling pin.

When I get a mill I will update my crush photo and hopefully I will have something to brag about. :super:

ODDBALL said:
I guess that is your perogative but if my crush looked like Sos's I would be really dissapointed. Mine is not bad considering it was done with a $1 Rolling pin.
[post="61806"][/post]​
Each to their own. At the end of the day the brew tastes good (in particular, no astringency). If I can get that and still get 85% efficiency and a very smooth running brew day then I am not disappointed one bit.

Wee Stu
yep, go Corona !
My right bi-cept is bigger than my left but man i works a treat !
$27 all it cost me ! delivered to my door (god bless ebay)
No probs with my crack !
ha

I like it Sos.... Maybe a bit coarse... But I like it....

Go the supercharged philmill#1
Asher for now

Back