My Crack At A Black Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdbrown

Reaction score
Brewed the following last saturday

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 45.56 l
Post Boil Volume: 40.56 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l
Bottling Volume: 39.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 74.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 66.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
4.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
0.30 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 3 2.3 %
9.60 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) ( Grain 4 73.0 %
0.80 kg Rye Malt (Briess) (7.3 EBC) Grain 5 6.1 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 6.1 %
0.55 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 7 4.2 %
0.55 kg Chocolate (Bairds) (1241.1 EBC) Grain 8 4.2 %
0.55 kg Crystal, Heritage (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) Grain 9 4.2 %
40.00 g Galaxy [13.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 10 30.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
80.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 16.4 IBUs
80.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 19.8 IBUs
30.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Galaxy [13.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 16 -
90.00 g Citra [11.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 13.15 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 36.82 l of water at 75.4 C 66.7 C 80 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

OG was 1.064 and it's currently at 1.020 and looks to be stopping despite the estimated FG as 1.014. Fermented using the trub from a previous APA and had a nice krausen 12 hrs after pitch. I added the dry hops on tues night when the gravity was 1.025. the sample on tues night was the same as last night. No hint of fresh citra hop flavour or aroma. How long does it normally take for the dry hops to impart flavour/aroma? I quite like the malt backbone and will be a nice drink just like the american brown ale I did, but I really want the citrus flavour to shine through.

Do you think the citrus will come out in the next few days or should I put in some more? I will probably have to use galaxy though.

Mate I did a black ipa that I've done before a few weeks ago an it had the same problem . I ended up throwing 75 grams more dry hop in and it still only just came through. Seems like something was counteracting with the aroma.
First time I did it the roastiness didn't come out and the galaxy/cascade came though nicely but had no real backbone I changed around quantities a bit and added 50gms black malt the result was the opposite this batch.
Drinking nice now but dosnt have the nose of a batch with over 100g dry hop.
If you got a nice supply of hops throw what ever you can at it. But I wouldn't expect it to shine through

90g isn't much for a 40L batch size, I'd suggest throwing some more in.

I had a black IPA/hoppy robust porter with a ton of late kettle hops and none of them were showing through at all, so I hit it with 6g/L of cascase/centennial mix and it was definitely noticeable after that.

Rye and crystal malts with dry hopping are a train wreck (I would suspect that the carafa special to also be detrimental). Also if you overuse citra hops it gives out a mango soup type flavour - if you listen to the last episode of Can You Brew It on the BN the brewer from Kern River explains it a bit. I suspect that overusing galaxy may have a similar effect.

Rye and crystal malts with dry hopping are a train wreck (I would suspect that the carafa special to also be detrimental). Also if you overuse citra hops it gives out a mango soup type flavour - if you listen to the last episode of Can You Brew It on the BN the brewer from Kern River explains it a bit. I suspect that overusing galaxy may have a similar effect.

Think you might be onto something with the carafa. I just looked back in my recipes and it was 150gms cara 2 that I added extra not the 50gms black malt as it was already in the original recipe

Very strange. My favourite Black IPA recipe is similar to yours. I use Trad Ale, Caramunich and Carafa Special 3. Then hops are Citra and Galaxy.

I wait till krausen has dropped and fermentation is basically finished before I add my dry hops. In a 23L batch I was putting 30g of a Citra and Galaxy combo in for 3 days and the aroma was enormous. Try adding your hops later in the ferment. I usually do it by putting pellets in a hop bag and transferring the beer on top of it in 'secondary'. People say that you need to add the hops while the yeast is still working to scrub off any oxygen introduced with the hops but I haven't noticed an issue.

Oh and my Black IPA is BLACK with 400gms Carafa Special III. My recipe

Very strange. My favourite Black IPA recipe is similar to yours. I use Trad Ale, Caramunich and Carafa Special 3. Then hops are Citra and Galaxy.

I wait till krausen has dropped and fermentation is basically finished before I add my dry hops. In a 23L batch I was putting 30g of a Citra and Galaxy combo in for 3 days and the aroma was enormous. Try adding your hops later in the ferment. I usually do it by putting pellets in a hop bag and transferring the beer on top of it in 'secondary'. People say that you need to add the hops while the yeast is still working to scrub off any oxygen introduced with the hops but I haven't noticed an issue.

Oh and my Black IPA is BLACK with 400gms Carafa Special III. My recipe

Your recipe looks pretty well balanced. I use the same method to dry hop my beers, anyone who suggests using dry hops during primary fermentation doesn't know what they are talking about. I think carafa special III is debitterd black malt? Any use of crystal and rye malt over about 9% (at a guess, I don't go over 8%) and the dry hopping will suffer.

Back