My Brutus Ten Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers!

I just thought I'd share my excitement with someone that understands.....My family and friends definitely don't get it - they think I'm going round the twist.

I've been working on my Brutus ten clone recently and did it pretty much as per Lonnie's plan....all stainless with gas fittings along the rear horizontal beam as per his instructions to make a gas manifold.

I was going to make it for LPG because I might sell my house soon and move on and don't know whether I'll have NG, but decided to go NG at the last minute to save on a gas bottle and reg....plus it's great to not have to worry about filling up gas bottles all the time. Just move the BBQ out and brew rig in!

I bought the 10 jet Auscrown burners from Beerbelly and connected up one of my burners and test-fired it tonight....I think I got a bit aroused!

I can't imagine ever needing more than a 10 jet burner....they pump out some serious heat. I was tossing up between the 23 jet and also the 18 jet duckbill burner but I'm glad I stuck with the 10 jet. I plan on doing 10Gal batches but I'll just trial run the setup tomorrow on a single batch.

I had T-fittings welded in place for the future when I might automate it and need a pilot burner on the HLT and the Mash tun. But til then it'll just be a manual setup, but with 2 march pumps and a Blichmann Therminator plate chiller.

Anyway, I'll add some more details re the build later (not cheap!!!), but til then, here's a few pics from tonight's burner firing:

View attachment 53850

i wanna see it, i wanna see it......piccie no worky.

Sorry picky no worky .... website say server busy....try again one at a time:

burner_1.jpg

do you have to reach under there to change the flame ? better buy a flame suit :)

If my 3V looked like that, i'd just fire it all up and waste gas bottle after gas bottle just staring at it.

Actually, it's probably lucky i have to use gas by the bottle, otherwise my bill to do it would be horrendous.

Sure is lovely work Molly. That will make beer for sure!

If my 3V looked like that, i'd just fire it all up and waste gas bottle after gas bottle just staring at it.

Actually, it's probably lucky i have to use gas by the bottle, otherwise my bill to do it would be horrendous.

Sure is lovely work Molly. That will make beer for sure!
Thanks..

must admit I was a bit like a moth to a....well a flame!

Just a few more additions and mods and she'll be all complete....that's it...no more spending!!

Just making beer

Nice work.

If you have not read the American home brew forum, they have an extensive thread on Brutus.

A good recommendation that I took away was to include gas safety / pilot light system. Easy to install, providing piece of mind- just a consideration.

My 2c

Nice work.

If you have not read the American home brew forum, they have an extensive thread on Brutus.

A good recommendation that I took away was to include gas safety / pilot light system. Easy to install, providing piece of mind- just a consideration.

My 2c
I've done some reading but not sure if I've read that one...what do you mean exactly?

I did test all the fittings thoroughly before i tried it out....no leaks. I'll always be using it outside in the open, and after the brew, I'll be disconnecting it from the bayonet fitting, but I'm interested what the gas safety pilot light system is?

Cheers

I've done some reading but not sure if I've read that one...what do you mean exactly?

I did test all the fittings thoroughly before i tried it out....no leaks. I'll always be using it outside in the open, and after the brew, I'll be disconnecting it from the bayonet fitting, but I'm interested what the gas safety pilot light system is?

Cheers

If memory serves me correctly when i was gonna build something like a brutus, the pilot safety system is a gas shut off system so that if for some reason the gas blows out the gas shuts off. Don't want to have a gas line open and no flame.

Does it happen? Apparently so, otherwise it probably wouldn't exist.
Is it likely? I don't think so. And if it does, you'll most likely be standing next to it when it happens - turn off the gas, get yourself sorted, gas back on and relight the mofo.

Certainly not knocking the safety aspect - i am a very careful brewer when i use the 3V in particular, as i have two small brew assistants in the house.

If memory serves me correctly when i was gonna build something like a brutus, the pilot safety system is a gas shut off system so that if for some reason the gas blows out the gas shuts off. Don't want to have a gas line open and no flame.

Does it happen? Apparently so, otherwise it probably wouldn't exist.
Is it likely? I don't think so. And if it does, you'll most likely be standing next to it when it happens - turn off the gas, get yourself sorted, gas back on and relight the mofo.

Certainly not knocking the safety aspect - i am a very careful brewer when i use the 3V in particular, as i have two small brew assistants in the house.
Yeah, thanks for that Big Nath....just looked it up myself...and have a little assistant myself.

Will be standing by the whole time so shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Hi Molly

I'm collecting all the bits and pieces for a Brutus 10 clone at the moment and I'm at the burner stage.

Do the 10 jet burners from Beerbelly have a pilot burner on them? If not does it have a threaded hole to install one?

I notice the 23 jet version in the pic on the webiste has the pilot burner.

Also what regulator are you running

Cheers
RickC

Hi Molly

I'm collecting all the bits and pieces for a Brutus 10 clone at the moment and I'm at the burner stage.

Do the 10 jet burners from Beerbelly have a pilot burner on them? If not does it have a threaded hole to install one?

I notice the 23 jet version in the pic on the webiste has the pilot burner.

Also what regulator are you running

Cheers
RickC
Gidday Rick

The LPG version of the 10 jet burner does have a hole on the inside of the ring burner facing up that looks like it could be used for a pilot and it has a 5/8" inlet on the side. The NG version that I got, (which apparently is hard to come by now) has a centre inlet on the bottom of the ring, and does not appear to have a hole for a pilot.

I'm using the reg that came with my BBQ for NG, when I asked the guy at the gas shop he told me what I needed and it just so happened that it was the same reg.

I'll post a photo of it shortly.

Cheers

Back