My braumeister clone build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micbrew

Reaction score
Heres my build so far ............

I have used a 70 litre kettle
and a 32 litre malt pipe

the kettle stand and the malt pipe were fabricated by Fineweld in Carrum Downs
there skills are great ..ie didn't blow a hole in my pot

the malt pipe has 2 perforated filters ... top and bottom these are held in place by allthread
the malt pipe can be lifted out quite easily and has legs welded to it .
the malt pipe has about 80mm clearance from the kettle floor

the kettle has skin fittings and uses a 2.4 KW heating element from gryphon brewing
I hope to control this with Mathos controller
However im having so much trouble getting it to work wiring issues

if theres anyone in Melbourne sth east suburbs who can help me ..please let me know
im getting desperate to get this thing working

anyway I water tested this afternoon and I need to find my Teflon tape :) otherwise ok

thanks Mick

image.jpegView attachment 71851image (6).jpegimage (5).jpegimage (4).jpegimage (1).jpeg

Good luck with the completely of the build. How will the wort be pushed vertically through the malt pipe when the pipe isn't sealing with the base of the main pot??

Yeah Pratty has a good point there Mick, you might need to consider a cam-lock solution like a few people have used with some further mods to your malt pipe. There are heaps of examples of the cam-lock malt pipe attachment in the braumiser threads.

Looks great mate. If you need any help building the controller I can help you. But i am on the other side of town. Happy to help though.

Schmicko.
That element looks suspiciously like my 3600 W element from onlinebrewingsupplies/Gryphon. I also have the 2400 W which doesn't double back.

UPDATE
Brauclone version #2

after digesting the feed back and borrowing some great ideas and mods from other builds on AHB
this is version #2

photos in link below

I have purchased some s/steel tube and socket (for the malt pipe ) from Geordie s/steel to evaluate how it will work , I will get a
piece made to suit with out the socket ... so it will be approx. 350 mm .. 400mm 1/2" s/steel tube with aapprox 30mmm of 1/2 bsp thread
this locked to the kettle floor and connected via a quick disconnect to the pump

I have used the stainless steel eye bolts to fasten the top filter plates to the malt pipe. A fine and corse filter
may add a flat bar across the filters if required

and yes it is the 3.6kw element , apologies Wiggman i was contemplating using 2.4kw ,but ultimately I chose the 3.6kw

now waiting for mathos controller to be built and testing can commence

appreciate the feed back ...

thanks Mick

http://s594.photobucket.com/user/ssunshine15/library/beer%20machine

Nice work!! be sure to support that top filter as pressure has been known to bend even 2mm plate. Good luck with the build mine is in the fab shop now, so hopefully in a few weeks we can both sit back and have an unattended brew session with beer in hand. Though the double I did today on the 3V was easy, I find beers at 7 am a lil harsh.

I find a good coffee is the way to go before 9am

MB

I like how you have the filter on the top of the malt pipe I have modified my BM to sit the filter on the top but agree 100% with MB you will have to strengthen the top of the filter or it will bow.

wide eyed and legless said:
I like how you have the filter on the top of the malt pipe I have modified my BM to sit the filter on the top but agree 100% with MB you will have to strengthen the top of the filter or it will bow.
Hi weal,
Do you have details pics or a link on the above mods that you have done?

The filter will definitely need to be stronger. I would suggest getting a veggie tray on top of what you have. When I ran mine for the first time loads of grain came out around the edges of the filters. I fixed this by making a gasket from some silicone tubing and fitting it around the splatter guard.
Link to pics of my build
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/79602-another-braumeister-inspired-system/page-2

Btw the hole that you have plugged in the bottom of your main pot will probably be a good spot to put the temperature probe for mathos controller.

Looks good mate, keep posting pics of how it develops please.

yes agreed I do have some flat bar s/steel for the top of the filters
need to have it drilled

cheers mick

dicko said:
Hi weal,
Do you have details pics or a link on the above mods that you have done?
Hi dicko ,
I am pretty sure I have posted the pics before when we were discussing the rise and fall of the grain, I just got a second seal (as bottom seal) and bought some perforated plate and mesh from Geordie, the mesh I cut with a nibbler and the P/Plate with a 4" grinder and S/Steel abrasive cutting disc.

Looking good Mick. High anticipation for the opening ceremony! :)

ok thanks JB no pressure right B)

anyhow I have since had some flat bar drilled for my top filter plate

my other issue is that I have a 1/2 hole in my kettle , which is currently just capped
I was thinking of using a kking thermowell to use with my DS18B20 temp probe
but realize this it too big and will fowl my malt pipe

does anyone know were I can source a smaller thermowell fitting approx. 65mm

thanks Mick

I still don't see how you are going to transfer the wort through the grain bed? It looks like it will be in the middle of the malt pipe.....

Im not trying to be picky but the BM is designed to have pressure beneath the actual malt that creates a vertical push of water/wort up through the grains.....you need to either cam lock it or have a neat seal with the main vessel on the base.

I agree with Pratty how are you going to get any pump pressure when the malt pipe is on legs a lot of the flow will be going up the outside of the malt pipe and not up the centre of the pipe.

micbrew said:
ok thanks JB no pressure right B)

does anyone know were I can source a smaller thermowell fitting approx. 65mm

thanks Mick
I got this one from the us through ebay for~$25 (depth into pot is ~46mm):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200809913822?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

After I brought this I found that Cheaky peak also have a 70mm thermowell:
http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/brewing-kettle-accessories/product/176-weldless-304-stainless-steel-70mm-thermowell

Cheers

Thanks djgilmore

that was zactly what I was looking for ! ;)

If you see the mods photos a few post back you can see I have added a center pipe to distribute the wort up through the malt pipe
yeah sure the heading brau clone may not be accurate ... perhaps beer machine
its not a replica that's for sure

Im sure it will make beer one day ...who good it will be is another question for another time :beerbang:

cheers mick

O/k Mick, I see the pipe coming through the centre of the tube and it looks like you have put something else on the centre pipe in the picture with the lower filters on, what is that ? And also does the outlet from the pump start below the bottom filters?

Back