My boss is a Dick!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some places don't call weekends weekends any more they call them rdo's and if you have a sickie with an rdo you need a doctors cert. well my doc doesn't work fridays ( teaches at uni ) so if your sick on friday you have to wait untill monday so you can get a d.c. and usually you can't get in the day you ring, have to wait till the next working day.

Shows how fucked up some places sick leave systems are and you have to take up the docs time cause you were not well one day and totally fine the day you go to the docs just to get a certificate to be paid

You try and explain this to them and they still make you get a certificate and they get the shits big time when you have a sickie

I'm bound to get the cold shoulder for sure when I get back. They make you feel guilty for getting sick & I will cop the smart arse remarks of how tough it was when I was away. It's like the place revolves around you but it's bullshit. If I left tomorrow, it would make no difference to them at all as there will be some other poor ******* waiting in line to get whatever work they can get & they know it. I've lost count of how many times they've been to court in the last 2yrs & the latest ruling has found them guilty of owing millions of dollars of unpaid work to their workforce. The company issued a Tell C___S survey last year which was a series of multiple choice questions that you could answer anonymously. One question was, are you actively seeking other employment? Have a guess what % of people are looking for work elsewhere?..................94%. 94 out of 100 people trying to get the hell out. It speaks for itself really.
No survey this year, I don't know why. We ranked 221 out of 225 stores for dissatisfaction & you can guess what they're doing about it......Jack Shit!
It's a toxic environment but I'm stuck there for now. I'm hoping to have some exciting news in the next few weeks.

My work place reverted back to 2 consecutive days before requiring a medical certificate. Our previous EBA required a certificate for one day off sick. The main objection was the difficulty getting into a GP on short notice.
The one time I had a single day off sick,I told them I wasn't going to the doctor and if they didn't pay me then so be it. When it came time to do the payroll, they forgot I had the day off. Obviously,I am a vital cog in the machine. I am a little disappointed that I will be leaving so much unpaid sick leave behind when I retire. It's less than 2 years and I couldn't possibly use all the sick leave in that time.

I don't know why any workplace would want you to turn up sick. Your productivity will be reduced, you make others sick and in turn reduce theirs.
Dumb business management.

technobabble66 said:
You're going to win tattslotto??
Hey, me too!!
Not quite, but almost as good.
I'm hoping everything stays on track & so far so good.
I'm hoping to spill the beans in the next few weeks......Oh happy days. Fingers crossed.

Damn, you're starting a brewery in Yamba aren't you? I'll be the guinea pig for pilot brews and/or first customer.

manticle said:
I don't know why any workplace would want you to turn up sick. Your productivity will be reduced, you make others sick and in turn reduce theirs.
Dumb business management.
That's the thing that gets me about the whole sick leave nonsense.
There's always articles floating about saying how much 'sickies' cost business, but nowhere near as many that discuss this aspect.

Many years ago I worked for a place that gave us 90 days sick leave.
They decided to make the number big enough that you wouldn't turn up if you were sick, and big enough that taking a day off because your entitlement might not be used wasn't really on the radar either.
Of course people still took the odd sickie, but I'd guarantee it was less than the days saved because people didn't come in and infect the office all the time.

I like the concept that some countries have (or at least I think I read somewhere) of the mental health day. A couple of days that go against your sick leave but are just for that last minute day where you cannot possibly face work for whatever reason, sun, snow, empty kegs, whatever :)

Did I hear somewhere that some Chemists can issue a sick certificate????

Essential Energy the NSW electricity supplier have unlimited sickies.

I'm going to let the boss know that 3 companies are after me at the moment & I'd like a pay rise.
If he asks which 3, I'll let him know... The electricity company, the phone company & the rental bond board..... :lol:

I don't know where some people work but sick leave should definitely accrue. You only lose it when you resign.

In Victoria they must also accept a statutory declaration in leu of a doctors certificate.

The national employment standards, NES, introduced Rudd/Gillard provide for 10 days sick leave per year. Which accrue. They are not a "benefit" like annual or long service which is yours and gets paid out. The logic for accrual is that as you get older you are more likely to get sick and sicker for longer, so saving up sick leave for age related conditions, such as knee replacements makes sense.

I just made a good argument for transferability didn't I.....

But back to my point,
As the guys have said, industrial law has proven that a Drs cert can be substituted by a pharmacists note or a stat dec. most employers don't publicise the fact, in fact continue to say you WILL require a Drs cert, in order to prevent a run on chemist "how long?"

As a manager for a long time, my advice is,
No one will ever thank you for not taking your sick leave
If you are sick, go home and get better.

Lemon

I'm in suspense here Crusty. Tell me the good news, and then tell me when I start.

One of the boss's at my work also works at in the local Hospital in ED..so she knows sic,. but also understands about flu's and colds...they even offered free flu shots for all of us

There is nothing worse than going to work sick. **** that. If I want to be miserable I want to be miserable at home, not work.

Crusty said:
Not quite, but almost as good.
I'm hoping everything stays on track & so far so good.
I'm hoping to spill the beans in the next few weeks......Oh happy days. Fingers crossed.
Are you getting a WilliamsWarn??

Crusty said:
I'm bound to get the cold shoulder for sure when I get back. They make you feel guilty for getting sick & I will cop the smart arse remarks of how tough it was when I was away. It's like the place revolves around you but it's bullshit. If I left tomorrow, it would make no difference to them at all as there will be some other poor ******* waiting in line to get whatever work they can get & they know it. I've lost count of how many times they've been to court in the last 2yrs & the latest ruling has found them guilty of owing millions of dollars of unpaid work to their workforce. The company issued a Tell C___S survey last year which was a series of multiple choice questions that you could answer anonymously. One question was, are you actively seeking other employment? Have a guess what % of people are looking for work elsewhere?..................94%. 94 out of 100 people trying to get the hell out. It speaks for itself really.
No survey this year, I don't know why. We ranked 221 out of 225 stores for dissatisfaction & you can guess what they're doing about it......Jack Shit!
It's a toxic environment but I'm stuck there for now. I'm hoping to have some exciting news in the next few weeks.
Don't let the pricks get you down, do as I do when the Boss gets the I AM you are attitude ,remember that they like everyone else have to wipe their own arse.
It's a great leveller.
And if your Boss is a dick he and mine must be related,mine is the bit on the end...a ****'n knob !

Back