My Birthday Crusher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalfish

Reaction score
Hi all,

Early next month it's my birthday, and the inlaws have asked what I would like worth up to $150

Anyone got suggestions for a grain crusher or parts to build one that you can get off the shelf in Adelaide?

Cheers TF

a marga mill somewhere, dunno where exactly, do a ring around to some of the brewstores perhaps.
Grumpy's used to have them, and mod them for you, maybe give Phil and Brad a call (stilbrewing).

Well you could go for a Marga $125 - but remember it's not actually a grain mill (rather a flour mill) and needs to be modified to handle grain - I had one for a while but eventually upgraded

Other option is a MillMaster $269 - these can be driven with a motor or via a handle $32 and has option hopper - members have reported some difficulties running the mill with a drill due to torque required

Another option is a MonserMill $144 USD delivered for their basic model which is about $220 AUD

Yet another is the crankenstien - but they seem to have let their webpage lapse - so don't know about them at the moment

And another is the Barley Crusher from G&G - $280

Hope this helps

If I were in the market at the moment and the AUD was a little better I'd go for a MonsterMill other wise a MillMaster - The marga will do the trick but is not easily adjustable

You are best off spending the extra $ and getting a mill designed for the job

Cheers

Edit: ibrew.com.au also have the MaltMill for $265

I had a marga and didnt modify it. worked fine. I then upgradedd to a monstermill when A$ was high so it was a lot cheaper. Now that they cost more I'd really be temped to go the millmaster from Craftbrewer for convienience (as you have to put togethr a rig for the monster mill - as simple as that is). You can get vouchers from CB so your inlaws could get you those and you chuck in the rest.

As said, a marga needs to be modded, but the mod isn't that hard to do (edit: you can get away without modding, as CM2 said....but it's best if it is modded imo). There have been several threads about it. For the money, it's a good mill. Are the others mentioned better? Yes, they are. But the marga does the job if on a budget. Mine keeps going and going and going...it's more than paid for itself. So it takes 15 minutes to crush 8kg, instead of 5 minutes....hardly an issue imo. I regularly get efficiency in the mid to high 70's, many other brewers get similar. Smurto even cracks his grain with a marga by hand, I believe... :eek:

Like the idea of making up the shortfall to get a better mill, though....

Or make one yourself like Tony's. That is my plan... one day!

Then the gift voucher of $150 can go towards any other brew gear you may need.

I have a Barley Crusher. Works fine. A solid unit. Crush by hand. Goes through 5 kg of grain in about 15 minutes, 20 if sipping a HB, which is most times.

Yet another is the crankenstien - but they seem to have let their webpage lapse - so don't know about them at the moment

And another is the Barley Crusher from G&G - $280
TWOC in WA are agents for Barley Crusher and Crankenstein.

These are a great mill to kick off AG brewing with,$50.00 and build like a brick shithouse.
I used one for quite sometime when starting my own milling years back.You'll hear all sorts of stories about how they are not suitable to AG brewing,form brewers you never owned one but know it all.

http://tinyurl.com/a9mera

You can add a motor drive as well.
Now they do take a little to set the crush,but when set that's it. $100.00 left to spend on grain as well ;)

Batz

These are a great mill to kick off AG brewing with,$50.00 and build like a brick shithouse.
I used one for quite sometime when starting my own milling years back.You'll hear all sorts of stories about how they are not suitable to AG brewing,form brewers you never owned one but know it all.

http://tinyurl.com/a9mera

You can add a motor drive as well.
Now they do take a little to set the crush,but when set that's it. $100.00 left to spend on grain as well ;)

Batz

Must be good Batz Charlie Papazian says he still uses his. :icon_cheers:

Ask them for cash & you're half way home to getting a PROPER mill of your choice. I have a 3-roller Cranker but would go for a MillMaster if I was starting up now.

TP

Back