My Big Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
After a pint of Mornington Brown ale, i decided to whip up a brown ale today. When weighing out the grain, it just seemed a little too much, but the scales seemed to be working. Hmmmm. Anyway, preboil for the ale, ( calc'd OG 1.056 ) ended up being 1.054 haha. Hmmm, interesting again. Long story short, my 1.056 brown ale ended up coming in at 1.070. At 30 IBU's i suppose it will be a brown ale, just a big one. I checked everything after i finished, and realised i'd set the efficiency at 68, instead of my usual 72%. Still, its a lot bigger than i'd expected, and 99% of the time im within a point or two.

Recipe for shits n giggles

87.3% Ashburne mild
5.5% Simpsons Med xtal
3.6% Spec b
1.8% Special roast
1.8% Pale choc

Willamette 60
Willamette 15 ( i added these in after i saw the preboil )

1.056 ( haha )
29 IBU

Now im gunna have to brew a pale ale just to get enough yeast for it. Shame that hehe

After a pint of Mornington Brown ale, i decided to whip up a brown ale today. When weighing out the grain, it just seemed a little too much, but the scales seemed to be working. Hmmmm. Anyway, preboil for the ale, ( calc'd OG 1.056 ) ended up being 1.054 haha. Hmmm, interesting again. Long story short, my 1.056 brown ale ended up coming in at 1.070. At 30 IBU's i suppose it will be a brown ale, just a big one. I checked everything after i finished, and realised i'd set the efficiency at 68, instead of my usual 72%. Still, its a lot bigger than i'd expected, and 99% of the time im within a point or two.

Recipe for shits n giggles

87.3% Ashburne mild
5.5% Simpsons Med xtal
3.6% Spec b
1.8% Special roast
1.8% Pale choc

Willamette 60
Willamette 15 ( i added these in after i saw the preboil )

1.056 ( haha )
29 IBU

Now im gunna have to brew a pale ale just to get enough yeast for it. Shame that hehe
Sounds nice , have a few while brewing Ha Ha :lol:
Nev

Haha, nah no beers today. The mornington I think is close to 6% (sure the barman told me that), and it was fabulous, so maybe its a good thing!

hopefully you got some more IBU's in there with your 15 min edition or you might need to do a bit of a boil whilst fermenting :)

Might dry hop it to buggery. I've got nearly a kg of first gold. I'll taste it first though

Latest posts

Back