• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

My BIAB , stainless steel basket instead of bag, your thoughts ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
SS 400 MICRON MESH BASKET. Diameter = 24 cm , height= 30 cm plus 2 cm legs. Also has a handle .This BIAB system could fit
into a 15 L pot (kmart $16 ) , 19 L pot (BigW $20) or your own bigger pot. Perfect for someone without alot of room and who doesn't
want to spend alot on an AG system.
I have 2 but if there is sufficient demand I'll do a bulk order. The price ; $ 150
SMS me if interested on 043 4875 901 . Let me know where you live also.

Thanks
bask-ll.jpgbasket ss.jpgbasketiv.jpg

What is the capacity of grain this can hold? I'm looking at building a new big batch system and would love to use something like this.

hey roosterboy

a few questions

does this have a lid ? to prevent over flow
what volume of grain would it hold ..wet
could it be lifted via a pully , looks a little light

other wise id be interested
thx mick

Sorry Clints Gadgets, micbrew and Topher for not getting back to you sooner. I'll answer all your questions. Capacity of grain, well you need a tall pot, 3.0 kg to 3.5
kg of grain is ideal. You can do less but I wouldn't go much past 3.5 kg .There isn't a lid.The basket is less than 1 kg.Grain and water would come to less than 10 kg.
It has 4 bars of 304 SS on the side and bottom to reinforce it. I haven't designed a bigger basket as this one was designed for people who want to start BIAB who
already brew by BIAB , to a standard , to a price point as I don't think people will spend double this, for easy AG brewing and for smaller batches as I think just
brewing larger amounts is less attractive the more you brew. I'll get some photos of it being used to brew.
Thanks
Roosterboy

Roosterboy said:
I like your crafting but will stick with cloth. Even if one does not actively squeeze a cloth bag, several kilos of wet grain does pull the sides in and a fair bit of squeezing results. When you look at a freshly lifted bag, there is a large flow down the sides. The three-dimensional drainage has its advantages, for example, allowing mashes with very high proportions of wheat malt. Granted, a rigid "bag" has sides a typical lauter does not, but I suspect it largely relies on bottom drainage.

yankinoz said:
I like your crafting but will stick with cloth. Even if one does not actively squeeze a cloth bag, several kilos of wet grain does pull the sides in and a fair bit of squeezing results. When you look at a freshly lifted bag, there is a large flow down the sides. The three-dimensional drainage has its advantages, for example, allowing mashes with very high proportions of wheat malt. Granted, a rigid "bag" has sides a typical lauter does not, but I suspect it largely relies on bottom drainage.
You can't squeeze it but the advantages of a rigid frame is you can jiggle the grain up and down like a tea bag and the wort flows between the grain easily.
Also instead of squeezing when it comes to sparging you can jiggle once again and the wort drains out. The 400 micron doesn't allow hop particles
through so you have a filtered wort .
Roosterboy

Might make for an intereresting side by side experiment, a battle of the BIABers to see who drains the most the fastest..

What do you think. The basket has 2.5 kg of grain in it in the photo. It can fit up to 3.5 kg.
It's a 13.5 L vol cylinder made of 304 grade stainless steel. Rigid sides mean you can jiggle the grain up and
down to drain and to help in the mashing process. The 400 micron mesh acts like a filter so NO large bits
of grain or hops get into your wort.

Photo2 (485x640) - Copy.jpg

basketiv.jpg

basket ss.jpg

bask-ll.jpg

This looks like an awesome alternative to a bag, easier to clean probably, bit easier to handle, no scorching or burning holes in it. Did you make it or buy it?

I spent several weeks talking with manufacturers, both local and overseas . This is the end result , designed by me but they made it.

That looks great. If it was able to hold 5kg of grain and fit inside a Crown Urn, there might be quite a bit of demand for them.

All depends how much they would cost of course.

I was searching for a bigger version of something like this. I could a place in QLD that would manufacture it to my dimensions. I'm going to get a quote when I get a chance. Out of interest was it expensive ?

The crown urn is a good idea. This will fit in it. But if your looking for a bigger one , there's a few things to consider. SS mesh is expensive. A bloke in my town
told me it costs him $ 400 a sheet. So the less baskets you can get out of a sheet, the more expensive. Local manufacturers basically told me your looking at
more than $300 to make this basket. Overseas could make it cheaper but our dollar against the US dollar is crap , and they all deal in US dollars. Then the
freight is high , but goes down the more you can fit in box. The bigger the basket, fewer baskets in a box , once again the cost goes up.
I'm asking $ 140.
Freight to most of Australia is $15 .

Latest posts

Back