My Belgian Blonde is going crazy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know I should have left a little more head room in the vessels but I wasn't expecting this.

IMG_20141008_175553_zps516278b1.jpg

The yeast is a wlp530 and I made a 3L starter. The OG of the Belgian ale was 1068. Ferm temp is 18C. After less than 24 hours yeast was foaming out the airlock after it had blown off the top.

My question is what do I need to do to stop an infection. Do I just let it ferment out or do I need to remove the lid and clean it once the fermentation slows down a little. I just really don't want to lose her.

Thanks Guys.

If it was me I'd clean up, pull the airlocks and set up a blow off tube into a sanitiser filled jug.

Thanks for the reply Mr. No-Tip, in regards to getting the overflow out of the lid, would you suggest soaking it up with a cloth soaked in starsan?

Cheers.

I imagine you've done something by now, but in the past I've just used clean paper towel, followed by a Liv wipe (lab grade wet ones). Paper towel or a new cloth with starsan should behave similarly.

Thanks Again Mr. No-Tip,

Unfortunately as I don't brew at home and rent a garage for it I haven't had a chance to get down and do a clean up. I'll be going down today to get stuck into it.

If you can, make sure whatever you're taking for the blowoff fits snugly in your grommet. I've found a lot of common hose is too thin or too thick.

On seeing the title my initial reaction was 'you lucky bar steward'. Is it OK to be somewhat disappointed it was a post about beer? :(

Latest posts

Back