My Bar Build (the Altar)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropbear85

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm in the process of building a bar and thought I would document it and share some pics for everyone to have a look.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put it but i guess the mods can move it if the don't want it here.

The story so far is I get bored with things too quickly and need new hobbies to keep me busy so bar build was next on the list (not going to get bored of beer :chug: ) . With only having about 80% support from SWMBO the bar couldn't be "too big" and funding came from selling my 4ft marine aquirium which I built about 2 years ago.
So to start I did a rough sketch at work and came up with some dimensions of what would look alright and be pratical without being "too big".

barcad.jpg

Then after the tank sold I did a bit of ebay shopping and bought my kegs, taps, font etc. and picked up a bar fridge from gumtree for the kegs. Then it was off to bunnings for some timber.

Here is the frame that me and a mate knocked up in the arvo. Good start but I later had to add to it later to give it a bit more strength.
BTW NAIL GUNS ROCK!!! :super:
IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

Then another trip to bunnings to get more timber and that kep me busy for another day.
The top is still wrapped and just sitting there in these photos.
IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Another day in the office and I got the top done.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

This weekend the plan is to to the trims done and putty and sand, then next weekend should be staining.

The funniest thing is after being told not to make it too big I tried to get the frame in the house and there is no way its fitting through any doors or windows, so the plan is to remove the non sliding part of my sliding doors and get it in through there. Looks easy enough but I guess we'll have to just wait and see. Who know I might end up with an outdoor bar yet. ;)

As I was going through the photos I had the thought of "Is he going to get that inside?".

I'm sure you will find a way. Hopefully it doesn't need destruction and reconstruction inside.

I note there is room for a fermenter...or 3

I noticed in the framing stage you had a Kwaca and then in the next there's just a BMX I hope you hav'nt had to sell other things as well to finance you bar <_<

:D

Guys sorry it has been so long, I'm sure you have all been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to see how it finished.
Truth is I compleatly forgot about updating this post and just came across it myself.
Anyway the bar has been in the house for a while now (I had to take out the sliding and fixed glass doors but we got it in).

Here are a couple of update pics.

Staining
IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

In the house.
IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

First Beer from the taps
IMG_0362.jpg

Lights Camera Action
IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Blackboard gone, Mirror up
IMG_0750.jpg

My mate enjoying the first real Christening
IMG_0754.jpg

And the Latest edition, my custom bar runners
IMG_0775.jpg

The kegs are in a chestie under the bar which takes up one side, and the other side has shelfs for spirits which means no room for a bar fridge. My real fridge is near by so its not that big of a deal.
I'll

What I will say abouth the music system is I am running an app called MOG and it is a great addition to any bar.
Basically I pay $12 a month and can run it on my phone (unmetered on telstra) and ipad. The basically have every song and album and it streams off the net. It works like a jukebox so anyone can just go up to it and add whatever they want to the queue.

I have no affiliation with them, I am just a very happy customer.

nice work, obviously you have no kids?

<jealousy> I wish I could something like that in my house </jealousy>

That will give 'CB' a whole new meaning on this forum :lol:

yep no kids yet.

Florian said:
That will give 'CB' a whole new meaning on this forum :lol:
:huh:I dont get it? what does CB stand for there

Great job DB looks very professional love the funky lighting.

Tropical_Brews said:
Great job DB looks very professional love the funky lighting.
cheers they are only about $30 and are fully programable with a remote

dropbear85 said:
What I will say abouth the music system is I am running an app called MOG and it is a great addition to any bar.
Basically I pay $12 a month and can run it on my phone (unmetered on telstra) and ipad. The basically have every song and album and it streams off the net. It works like a jukebox so anyone can just go up to it and add whatever they want to the queue.

I have no affiliation with them, I am just a very happy customer.
Awesome setup you got there. I envy you guys with no kids..

i use MOG as well. Ive noticed that you can have it on more than one device so my missus has it on her iphone too even though its the same log in as mine and we pay one fee. Well actually we dont pay anything at all as I signed up to have it added to my Bigpond bill each month but for some reason they havent charged me yet and Ive had it for 4 months. :D

Truman said:
Awesome setup you got there. I envy you guys with no kids..

i use MOG as well. Ive noticed that you can have it on more than one device so my missus has it on her iphone too even though its the same log in as mine and we pay one fee. Well actually we dont pay anything at all as I signed up to have it added to my Bigpond bill each month but for some reason they havent charged me yet and Ive had it for 4 months. :D
Yeah anyone can log in using the same account but the only thing is you can only listen to one device at a time, so if I am using the ipad I cant play anything on my phone.

dropbear85 said:
:huh:I dont get it? what does CB stand for there
CB traditionally refers to Craft Brewer the site sponsor (owned by Ross, a member here).

At least, I assume that is what he is referring to.

Great bar BTW - have you done much woodwork before?

CamM said:
CB traditionally refers to Craft Brewer the site sponsor (owned by Ross, a member here).

At least, I assume that is what he is referring to.

Great bar BTW - have you done much woodwork before?
Cheers now i get it,

I have done a little bit but not much. A couple of years ago I build 4ft Saltwater Aquarium and that was the first real woodworking project I had done since high school.
In fact it use to be where the bar is but I sold it to fund the bar build.
All my buddies feel that this is a much better use of the space. Saying that all my mates are drunks..........I mean social drinkers :D

Here is a pic of it if when it was just finished if your interested. It had a lot more in it by the end

dfcab8aa.jpg

The custom bar mats are a nice touch.

Hat on inside though, I hope you shouted the whole room a beer! (yes, I'm a bit old fashioned like that)

Nice work all round, looks like a great addition to your place.

JDW81 said:
The custom bar mats are a nice touch.

Hat on inside though, I hope you shouted the whole room a beer! (yes, I'm a bit old fashioned like that)

Nice work all round, looks like a great addition to your place.
haha, nah thats my mate I'm not in the photo, but trust me everyone got shouted well and truely that day.
I think we went through 2 kegs and a bottle two bottles of bourbon.

It was one of those days when you wake up and say im never drinking again.... then you realise you have a bar in your living room :party:

Back