My Awesome Road Trip - Brewery Tour!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Just thought i'd publicly air my opinion on an awesome road trip i went on during the long weekend just gone.

Myself and two other mates, have been loosely thinking about starting up a micro, cellar door/restuarant type setup so we decided to head to Adelaide to have a look around and hopefully meet up with some breweries for tours and a chat.

Whilst i am not going to divulge the content of what was discussed out of respect for the brewers we met, i will say we all had an awesome time.

Saturday:
In car, heading to Adelaide. Stopped off at Gulf Brewery Cellar Door in Hahndorf, and then to Lobethal Bierhaus for lunch. Headed into the city and western suburbs to see Brewboys.

Sunday:
Drove to Goolwa to see the Steam Exchange Brewery.
Headed out to the Barossa where we hoped to catch up with the breweries out there, but ran out of time due to an extended amount of time at Goolwa.

Monday:
Back out to Lobethal to meet with Alistair from Lobethal Bierhaus.

Home again, late yesterday arvo.

Things i learnt.....

There are some really, really awesome blokes in the craft/micro scene, and a lot of them are only too willing to answer your questions and take you through their process and talk openly about licensing and permissions and all sorts of red tape issues.

I would like to publicly thank Gareth (Steam Exchange at Goolwa) and Alistair (Lobethal Bierhaus).

In particular, these two guys, were so incredibly helpful and really went out of the way to help us out with information and to get a feel of the industry.

I have no affiliation with either of them, but i feel they deserve to be recognised as two genuine men in our industry who have the best intentions and are both exceedingly passionate about craft beer.

If you haven't had beer from either of these breweries, you really need to try them out. I loved them.

So, to Gareth and Alistair, thanks a lot fellas, for the kind hospitality, the information you freely gave us, the time you spent with us answering our questions. We had an absolute ball and hope we didn't take up too much of your generous time.

Very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nathan, Dave and Paul.

it might be....... ;)

Actually, i've been loving Motueka and Citra lately. In particular, Citra.

Never thought i'd say it, but i'm starting to move away from my constant boner for NZ hops....

Citra's another hop I have a great deal of time for - as much as Nelson Sauvin.

I grabbed a half pound from the US last year, and have almost finished it, bar 20g or so.

I'm working through a shedload of Centennial, Chinook and Cascade in particular, but those three, with Citra dominating are pretty good.

Trouble is, Citra's twice the price.

Don't mind Galaxy, though have found a piney type hop (like Chinook) to balance it out, really gives the best result.

Look forward to the beers.

I'd love a brewery (or even to serve beer at the markets), but I live in Qld - home of the most repressive regime for alcohol laws (and incidentally still full of bogan XXXX swillers).

Back