My All Grain Brew Rig/System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macca05

Reaction score
Hey all,
WIsh I had of found this forum a long time ago. I have been mainly using an american one but will change for sure now. I live in Perth and have been brewing for about 18 months now. Started off with just can brewing and then moved onto a kind of BIAB method that TWOC offers here. Really loved doing the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Now its time to make my own creations.

Its a working progress but here are some pics to show.

Here's a list of what I have so far
32L MLT - wrapped in camping mat
32L HLT - 2500w heating element
58L Boil Kettle
15m Immersion chiller. I made this from an 18m roll I bought from bunnings. A lot cheaper than buying a chiller. kept 3m to make other stuff.
Chugger SS pump
4 Ring Burner
My control box is only an stc 1000 atm just to control the element. Im waiting on an Auberins PID Controller to arrive in the post.
Im planning on using the chiller to recirculate the Mash water (wort) which will sit in the HLT. The t piece in the picture on the chiller will house a PT probe on the outlet so thats where I will read the Mash temp from. Just need to buy the hex bushing reducer today but still dont have the probe yet. In mail too.
The burner is resting on tiles atm but will hopefully get out today and see if bunnings sell firebricks or something.
Pictures are not that good. Taken with phone.
Am going to make a new sparge arm over the wknd. Made one already but it is top heavy when the hoses are connected so my plan is to make mount it through the lid so the lid can be on the MLT when mashing.

2013-08-30%2009.28.57%20(Large).jpg

Mounted a new shelve to house the pump. Had trouble getting the pump to prime as I had the pump sideways and
the in at top. turned the pump to sit upright (good for adding oil) and turned the head to up at the bottom.
Works so much better. The box is not staying here tho. Just got it here while im setting it all up.
2013-08-30%2009.29.08%20(Large).jpg

2013-08-17%2016.24.04%20(Large).jpg

2013-08-30%2009.28.44%20(Large).jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get my first brew on this wknd but I dont think thats going to happen. Sow and steady :)
Cheers
Macca

macca05 said:
Hey all,
WIsh I had of found this forum a long time ago. I have been mainly using an american one but will change for sure now.
This is an American owned forum, but filled with mostly Aussies :)

You rig looks impressive. Many years ago I built a 3V wooden stand screwed together and at least a tube of liquid nails, looked no way near as good as your setup :)

Looks good mate. My only concern is the burner on a wooden stand, could spell trouble.

Hmmm, dont think i go to bassendean much but will keep it in mind :)
Im more of a wood man actually. But always trying to learn new things. All my bulkheads are weldless which I really think are a PITA but when my mate comes around one day he will ss weld them for me.

markjd said:
This is an American owned forum, but filled with mostly Aussies :)

You rig looks impressive. Many years ago I built a 3V wooden stand screwed together and at least a tube of liquid nails, looked no way near as good as your setup :)
Oh ok but at least on here most people are talking about equipment that can be bought from here. I hate finding something that I really want and then they wont ship it here or it is like 70-100 bucks to get it here.

Thanks. IT is holding up very well. Have had the HLT and MLT full and not problems at all. I figure all three will not be full at the same time. (correct me if im wrong)

JDW81 said:
Looks good mate. My only concern is the burner on a wooden stand, could spell trouble.
Yes have already thought of that. I will be using firebricks below the burner and will also use a heat shield on the two risers going up to the HLT. Should sort that out easy.

Looks like a well honed setup you've got there. Interesting idea with using your chiller as a HERMS coil in the HLT. With the PID/probe setup, sounds like a winner.

I too have a wooden stand but don't think it's such a bad idea as I chopped (literally!) and changed it many times as I nailed in (literally!) how I ultimately wanted it.
Not welding was much more of a PITA with all things stainless.

My Italian Spiral burner sits on a wooden brew stand, I just have some terracotta tiles underneath, bricks around as a windshield, doesn't even get warm.

hsb said:
My Italian Spiral burner sits on a wooden brew stand, I just have some terracotta tiles underneath, bricks around as a windshield, doesn't even get warm.
I tested the burner and although it gets warm i dont think it will be a problem either but to be on the safe side will look at the bricks etc.

hsb said:
Looks like a well honed setup you've got there. Interesting idea with using your chiller as a HERMS coil in the HLT. With the PID/probe setup, sounds like a winner.

I too have a wooden stand but don't think it's such a bad idea as I chopped (literally!) and changed it many times as I nailed in (literally!) how I ultimately wanted it.
Not welding was much more of a PITA with all things stainless.
Yeh I have already made changes too. Added an extra shelf that is not yet lacquered either. I work quite easy with wood, but im no good at welding. Have a welder but dont use it much.

Using the chiller as a herms coil was really just to safe money. I dont want to add another into the equation. I want to spend money on grains now. Think Ive spent enough on the equipment.

Hello again,
Couple more pictures of the build so far. Today I bit the bullet and bought a MAP torch and soldered my own sparge arm. FIrst time soldering copper. The first time weld was shocking and so I have to watch a video on youtube to seewhat I did wrong. Went back out to the shed and then welded up this. Pretty happy with it. Checked all the joins and no leaks. Would like to make it so its a little closer to the lid but will fix that as I go.
2013-08-30%2017.49.55%20(Large).jpg

This is the top of the lid with the disconnect so I can just have the lid closed while mashing

2013-08-30%2017.48.53%20(Large).jpg

More to come :)

The timber looks great!. Mines is made out of timber as well, just built a heat shield and all is sweet

Looks good mate im in thornlie if you are ever over this way

Natdene said:
The timber looks great!. Mines is made out of timber as well, just built a heat shield and all is sweet

Going to try and get some stuff done today but dont like my chances. Freo dockers are playing and that is priority :)
What did u build your heat shield with.

Spoonta said:
Looks good mate im in thornlie if you are ever over this way
Shweet man thornlie is not far from me. I used to work in that area a lot

Mate if you can get your hands on some fibro cement that stuff makes a good heat sheild

Shweet man ill see if i can get some. I have no pump until monday by the looks of it so i can play around over the wknd. Few adjustments

It took months before my 3v settled into place, rebuilt various bits, don't forget to make a volume measuring device for the kettle..

My heat shield is just ply walls lined with flat zincalume sheet

Yob said:
It took months before my 3v settled into place, rebuilt various bits, don't forget to make a volume measuring device for the kettle..
Hey Yob,
For my kettle I just used a trusting piece of dowling and I have this digital counter on my tap that measures the amount passing through it. So I put 5L in, then marked the dowling. And kept doing it to 50L.
I should have my pump back today as its in transit (auspost). Came from Melbourne only yesterday. Been working on a SNPA with ingredients I can get from here so looks like I will be brewing this wknd.

Natdene, I was looking at lining mine with a sheet metal too, but at the moment I have some tiles on it and they are working fine. Will change it soon though as I have heard tiles can explode when they get too hot and I dont want that to happen.

Latest posts

Back