My airlock's not bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earle

Choc wheat fiend
Reaction score
Ha ha, made you look. At ease. No kittens required.

full

On to my second brew. My airlock isn't bubbling though. Have I done something wrong? And what's with the kittens? I would've thought that you've gotta keep them out of the brewery.

Never mind the kittens in airlocks. Google it of you want to waste half a day.
It's a really really old one, done to death, and should be cremated by now.
Hey, there's an idea, let's cremate all the worlds cats, and make it a better place.

On to my second brew. My airlock isn't bubbling though. Have I done something wrong? And what's with the kittens? I would've thought that you've gotta keep them out of the brewery.

Without the bubbling, fermentation activity can be assessed by- bubbles on top of the brew, condensation under the lid, ring formation on the inside of the fermenter just where the top of the brew is.

Hydrometer/refractometer readings from my experience are the best indicator of fermentation. I've had a number of brews show no airlock activity but go from 1.045 - 1.008 SG in 5 days without issue or infection

Hydrometer/refractometer readings from my experience are the best indicator of fermentation. I've had a number of brews show no airlock activity but go from 1.045 - 1.008 SG in 5 days without issue or infection
Most of the time you know before even have to drop the hydrometer in the teas tube as the beer you draw off will even have a small head if fermentation is underway.

Sounds like you didn't rehydrate your airlock. I've noticed I get more blooping when I rehydrate, and haven't had any botulism since, unlike with no chill. I'm pretty sure it's the kittens that cause the botulism in airlocks.

I believe Queensland Kev (Qldkev) did a whole thread on this. Maybe do a search for him.

Latest posts

Back