Muther Of All Brew Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Generally when I get the chance to brew I make the most of it and do a double all grain brew day. The second brew generally adds about 2-2.5 hours to the brew day.
In a couple of weeks I'm planning the muther of all brew days. I'll be having the day off work, the missus and my son will be out of town and I'll be in brew mode.
By my reckoning I can get four all grain brews done (90 min mash, 60 min sparge, 90 min boils). If I start at 7am I should be all cleaned up at about 10:30pm.
I know Jayse has done double AG brew days, but has anyone else been mad enough to attempt 3 or more brews in a day ?

Beers,
Doc

Your nuts Doc. Your going to be absolutely exhausted. I've never done anymore than a 10 gallon batch and that takes long enough, however I have been toying lately with the idea of squeezing out a second batch in a day. I will be doing it too I've decided. I've gone nuts on the lagers at the moment. Brewed a munich helles last weekend (10 days ago now), I'm brewing a schwarzbier this weekend (Sat) and I have a packet of czech pils beside me about to explode that I might use on Sunday of this weekend for a pilsner.

Ahhh....beer beer beer. I love it.

JD

I have done three once doc, but that was back when i was only mashing for a hour and boiling for a hour.
It took 12 hours all up for the three all grain brew day back when i did it.
By the end my eyes could barely stay open and i was quite drunk.
The final one that day was my first ever go using whole hops which gave me some probs because i wasn't expecting everything to get blocked up. I remember standing there thinking jeez hurry up i have to go to bed, almost dead on my feet.

My last double batch was not very much fun at all starting at 9pm already tired and half tanked. after getting the second mash into the boiler i decided(actaully had to because i was rooted) to go to bed and set the alarm clock for when it would be ready for the finishing hops.
Anyway the alarm clock wakes me up and i discover that the gas bottle had run out and hardly any had been boiled off.
So i changed over the gas bottle set the alarm clock again and went to sleep for another 1.5 hours.
When the alarm clock went off the second time i didn't know why in the hell i had set the alarm clock for 2 am as i was sure i didn't have to go to work. After 5 mintues i realized i was brewing so went out and finished it of.
Damn that was was hell of late, drunken and tired brew day.

enough of my drunken brew stories. Have a good one doc and perhaps stick to coffee for the first half of the day

Cheers Jayse

all the best to you doc.i wouldnt even contemplate 2 at the moment until i get better burners to shorten my hlt boil up time.as it is i get 4 days off after 4 days at work so have heaps of brewing time each week. ;)

cheers
big d

New job.....New entitlements.........RDO.......you f@$ing beauty!!!!!!!!

Ahh RBD...Rostered brew days

I find that doing a 50L batch is the same effort really as a 25L batch and I do 40L boil and dilute with ice cold water to instantly get to pitching temperature. I couldnt see why you couldnt do one 25L and one 50L batch or two 50L batches.

Best of luck Doc, I am yet to work my way up to a double brew day so four is just insane especially if you are planning four separate mashes! What components do you have duplicates of (mash tun, boiler ....).

Two I could handle qiute easy :p

Four....forget it ! :blink: :blink:

DevilsAlter,
I currently don't do 50 litre batches because I like variety and my HLT isn't big enough.

JasonY,
I have two boilers. So while one is cooling the second brew is sparging into the second boiler.

I'm looking at brewing:

A JS Pilsner that I've posted here before but with some Melanoiden.
A different version of my Saison
Jayses Demon Ale
An Oatmeal Stout (Breakfast of Champions)
and I think it is Denny Conn's Imperial Vanilla Bean Bourbon Porter.

Jayses Demon ale will be on the Saturday before the Wednesday Muther of all brew days. Just hope I have enough gas in the burner bottle.

Doc

or do what jm does and do a partyglye or british sparging style make one big beer with the frist runnings and then do a light beer with the second runnings

and linz rdo are a luxary these days i use dto have em but got taken over by a biggter company and the guys gave them up fro money buggers i rather the day off

Amen to that brother. Used to work for a Gov dept and had EVERY 2nd friday off.

Now just glad to have one a month.

And Doc...............Are going to have a stunt double standing by just in case it gets too dangerous????? :ph34r:

Are you promoting yourselft to stunt double Linz ?

Doc

what day????time??? and the secret directions to the brewery???(its a bugger driving blind folded though)

the Muther of all Brewdays has begun.
First brew mashed in @ 7am AEST. It is my James Squire Pilsner clone.

Doc

Doc! Doc!

WAKE UP!

How'd it all go??? Or are you still going :D

Warren -

brew #1 is sparging now.
About to crush the grains for brew #2.

All is going well.

Doc

Multi tasking, multi sparging, mult mashing...

How about we just call him "Doc Multi"

and the painting Doc?

Latest posts

Back