Must on a stir plate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepregret

Reaction score
I am putting my first ever batch of mead down next week, and after much reading, I now understand the importance of having a well oxygenated must when brewing high alcohol (12/14%) mead.
So I had a thought. What if I put my 5L demijon on a stir plate for the first 24-48 hrs after pitching the yeast. Is this a good idea? Or a terrible idea?
I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts!

Go!

Last edited:
Does it actually work? My demijohns have a domed bottom so they cant work on a stirplate. I make starters for nearly every brew I make with the exception of Mead. I just use a good amount of yeast by yeast pitch calculations. Simply being that a full vial of liquid yeast or satchel of dry yeast has been very close to the correct pitch rate for a (edit) 3.8 lt brew. I may hydrate the dry yeast first.
Seal the demijohn and shake it very well for 2-3 minutes for aeration.

Last edited:
Every time I've tried to throw a demijohn on the stirplate it hasnt worked, the domed bottom kills it.

Do the whole brew in a 5L erlenmeyer flask maybe? lol

My basic Mead brews are OG = 1.123. Need the patience on this Mead stuff that's for sure. The first one I put down (Ancient Orange Mead) 2 months ago. I thought it was finished so I cleared it with Bentonite. Its brilliantly clear now but shows there is still many tiny bubbles rising. Its still going darn it. Just have to be patient but Christmas is coming! :rolleyes:

Back