Murray's Dark Knight Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction towards a recipe (BIAB) for something along the same lines as a Murray's Dark Knight.... I haven't had many Porters or Stouts over time but I really enjoyed the Dark Knight on Friday night at Archive and want to brew one up. I assume this would be better bottled and stored rather than Kegged?

Cheers Guys... Camo

ps... I did search but to no avail!

Anyone have any insight into what malts they use?

It is super creamy, without any astringency. I'd be guessing chocolate malt and some dark crystal. No black or RB from the taste.

Dry english ale yeast and not much hopping.

Yeah one of the best Porters I've tasted !

From the website;

Murray's Dark Knight is made in the traditional Porter style from six specialty malts. It is full bodied, rich and complex. The beer is a deep ruby colour, with a creamy, off-white head.Murray's Dark Knight has an aroma of caramel and bittersweet chocolate and finishes with a balanced bitterness

Holding their cards close to their chest.

I have a photo somewhere of the sacks of grain in their brewery, once could make a rough guess from there
I'll have a look around for it

Camo1234 said:
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction towards a recipe (BIAB) for something along the same lines as a Murray's Dark Knight.... I haven't had many Porters or Stouts over time but I really enjoyed the Dark Knight on Friday night at Archive and want to brew one up. I assume this would be better bottled and stored rather than Kegged?

Cheers Guys... Camo

ps... I did search but to no avail!
Have you tried sending an email off to the brewers? might be a a good place to start.

I did a tour there a while ago, sacks of carahell and maris otter sitting around..

Here's a Murray's Dark Knight clone recipe I've done twice now with a fantastic result. I'd say its so close that I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not using the same brand of malts as Murray's but they're very good substitutes.
Code:
Recipe: Caped Crusader (Dark Knight)
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 56.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   1        -             
1.00 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   2        -             
1.00 g                Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins)                   Water Agent   3        -             
3.860 kg              Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain         4        84.8 %        
0.260 kg              Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                   Grain         5        5.7 %         
0.170 kg              Crystal Malt - dark (Thomas Fawcett) (24 Grain         6        3.7 %         
0.140 kg              Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1200.0  Grain         7        3.1 %         
0.100 kg              Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain         8        2.2 %         
0.020 kg              Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (1400.0  Grain         9        0.4 %         
14.5 g                Green Bullet [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min   Hop           10       28.4 IBUs     
4.00 g                Brew Brite (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        11       -             
1.0 pkg               Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) [124.2 Yeast         12       -             

Mash @ 69c for 60 mins.

Hey Camo, I'm a big fan of all Murray's beers, as they're about 10 minutes from my house (on a good run). If you talk (or email) to Shawn, he will normally point you in the right direction, and generally steer you judiciously where he may not be allowed to to discuss specifics.

I'm fairly certain that water chemistry is an important part of all Murray's dark beers, too, FWIW.

Back