Munich Malt Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
I purchased a sack of Hoepfner Munich malt to make a Maerzen or two but at a couple of kilo at at a time, the stuff could be lying around for a long time unless I can find some other ways of using it in reasonable proportions.
Being a pipe smoker for 40 years, I prefer a beer with good bitterness and hop aroma that will bludgeon its way into my all but destroyed taste and olefactory buds.
I have bumbled my way thru some recipe sites but have found little suitable. Perhaps there is the odd Maestro out there who will have something at their fingertips.

the number one choice would be a bock!
munich malt is to bock as grapes are to wine!
Sorry no hops in there though but still bock is the beer of munich malt.
Other than that a ALT beer is a great choice can bitter that till all hell breaks loose.
Dunkel is a good choice also.
All of these beers you would use munich malt as the base or you could make all these beers with 100% munich malt.

Have fun, i bet you end up with some ripper beers.

Jayse

"ALTBIER" With 100% Munich Malt. Nice session beer with loads'o flavour.

Would be my first choice. Though a Bock sounds nice Jayse! :rolleyes:

Warren -

Thanks for those suggestions fellas. I shall search for some Altbiers and perhaps a Dunkel. My wife Enid loves the Dunkels at the Duckstein, though I'm not sure I should encourage her in this regard......more brew days, extra cold fermenting capacity, a "his n HERS" font. Dont think dunkels are a good idea.

EDIT.
I've just spent a coupla hours looking at alts. High thirties IBU seem to be the norm but I noticed one close to 60 IBU. I've never brewed that high. Can anyone guide be as to how bitter that really is?

And add a kilo or two to English ale recipes, hmmmm, malty!

Also use some in Oktoberfests, these have a nice zing of hops

JM

Try a 70% Munich base
10% Pale [for additional enzymes]
about 10% Carafa 2
10% Quick oats

A neutral bittering hop for about 40 ibu at the 60 minute mark

and at 15 minutes add 40 gms of hallertau

Ferment with neutral ale yeast

A very tasty stout.

Steve.

Back