Munich LME

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdjoffe

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing the following this weekend. Its a recipe I've come up with in an attempt to clone the Pirate Life IPA. My specific question is whether I am using enough Munich LME. From what I've read, if you're using 2-row and munich, the munich shouldn't be more than 15% of the grain bill (it is currently 8%). This could be very wrong. I am still new to brewing.

Thanks!

Malts/Grains

3.4kg Light Liquid Extract (2 x 1.7kg cans of Black Rock; one added at the beginning of the boil and one added with 15mins remaining in the boil)
400gm Munich Liquid Extract
400gm Crystal 20L
200gm CaraPils

Hop Schedule

25gm Simcoe - 60 mins
25gm Centennial - 10 mins
50gm Riwaka - 0 mins
75 gm Simcoe - 0 mins
50gm Riwaka - Dry Hop
50gm Simcoe - Dry Hop

Yeast

US05

400 grams of Munich LME is a minuscule amount, definitely not too much. I frequently use the equivalent of approx 700-750 LME (I do all grain) & that amount works nicely.

Your recipe looks pretty sound, spec grains look like a good amount... If you are boiling all of your extract it will most likely come out slightly darker than your software predicts.

Good luck, should be a nice brew!

stewy said:
400 grams of Munich LME is a minuscule amount, definitely not too much. I frequently use the equivalent of approx 700-750 LME (I do all grain) & that amount works nicely.

Your recipe looks pretty sound, spec grains look like a good amount... If you are boiling all of your extract it will most likely come out slightly darker than your software predicts.

Good luck, should be a nice brew!
Thanks stewy! I'll tinker around with it a bit to incorporate some more Munich LME - will probably go with your suggestion of about 700-750gm

The munich LME from briess is actually 50% Munich and 50% pale malt. I did an extract IPA a few years ago that was (off the top of my head):

1.5kg of pale LME
1.5kg of Munich LME
1kg of pale DME
200g of light Crystal

It turned out on the amber side of an IPA but still good.

I'd up the Munich LME so you use the whole jar and reduce your crystal 20L to 200g. Perhaps consider a little dextrose to help your beer dry out to make the hops stand out.

^ +1 to all points.

That Munich LME is 50:50 Munich malt.
Do you really want half a tin sitting around? I'd always design recipes to use full tins so you don't have those leftovers.
I've used up to ~20% Munich. Totally fine result. You just need to be aware of the effect and design accordingly.
If you want a solid maltiness, you can go quite high, especially in IPAs where the hops offset it. Conversely you might find the malts obscure the hops so you want less maltiness (I don't subscribe to this, but many do).
Similarly, to get a lighter balance, you might ease up on the crystal or drop it entirely; or for something really intense maybe keep the crystal high to match high levels of Munich. I've gone both ways (low crystal in IPA, higher in Amber, high Munich in both) and been very happy with the results. I would note that I'm still chasing many different recipes, so maybe one day I'll discover the opposite is best, but at the mo' this is good for me.

Back