Munich LME - IPA Recipe check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used CBW Briess Munich LME? http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWMunichLME.pdf

I picked up a 1.5kg jar at the HBS and wanted to make an IPA out of it. (It's 50% Pale and 50% Munich malts). Was thinking:

1.5kg Briess Munich LME
2.3kg Light DME (all out of liquid pale)
0.2kg Wheat DME
0.2kg Crystal (steeped)

8L boil with:
60: 14g Citra
30: 12g Citra + 18g Cascade
5: 20g Cascade + 12g Simcoe + 16g Amarillo
Dry hop with 10g each of Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo

The hop additions are all odd numbers as I'm trying to get the same IBU from each hop at each addition (not sure it will achieve anything different; just an experiment). Any point to this?

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%
EBC: 23.2
IBU: 50

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

I think that looks good. My second brew (and either my best or 2nd best) was a cascade single hop ipa that looked very similar. I did 1.5kg Munich LME, 3kg light LME, 300g Chrystal 60, 300g dextrose. 63ibu.

The malt profile was really good for an ipa I thought. If I did mine again id probably dry hop too, but it was a really nicely balanced ipa with that grain bill and I think the Munich added nicely to that.

If I was doing yours I'd probably up the ibu, but I do friggin love hops.

Good luck, as I say, looks good to me

I did a similar recipe with a little more wheat, a little less LDME. Also didn't have simcoe, but had centennial. It my current favourite batch. I will be doing it again with a few tweaks( one of which is adding Simcoe!). I think the Munich LME will be a regular addition to my extract collection.

Burrster, what was your mix of pale/wheat/Munich? I was thinking of maybe doing 2kg of LDME and 0.5kg of wheat DME.

shacked said:
Burrster, what was your mix of pale/wheat/Munich? I was thinking of maybe doing 2kg of LDME and 0.5kg of wheat DME.
1.5kg Breiss Munich, 1.5kg Coopers wheat malt(whole can), 0.2kg LDME. The coopers wheat malt can is not 100% wheat, it's more like 50%, but don't quote me on that.( I don't know the exact ratio, but I did see someone write it here once)

My next one will include 0.5kg of LDME to boost flavour and ABV.

drewstertherooster said:
I think that looks good. My second brew (and either my best or 2nd best) was a cascade single hop ipa that looked very similar. I did 1.5kg Munich LME, 3kg light LME, 300g Chrystal 60, 300g dextrose. 63ibu.

The malt profile was really good for an ipa I thought. If I did mine again id probably dry hop too, but it was a really nicely balanced ipa with that grain bill and I think the Munich added nicely to that.

If I was doing yours I'd probably up the ibu, but I do friggin love hops.

Good luck, as I say, looks good to me
I love hops too!

I'm going to add 5 IBU's worth of Amarillo to the 30m addition!

Latest posts

Back