munich helles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.Tas

Beer Goat
Reaction score
hi,
I've tried to find a few suggestions on the database and in other areas, but cant turn up much.
I found this thread, but cant find the recipe that they talk about!
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/27614-recipedb-munich-helles/?hl=helles

I've got some yeast (s23) already that I didn't use in another batch.
I open to suggestions on what fermentables to use, I was planning on using the coopers kit bavarian lager kit... but according to Ian's spreadsheet, its too bitter. 22L and 1 can of coopers its already 22.1 IBU (max 22) okay it isnt far off.

So.... has anyone had much success in this area that they would like to share with me?

Cheers :kooi:

So i ended up making a lager, in an attempt to get a helles. Unfortunately i struggled to keep the EBC down and it was a little dark for the style. Tasted great though.

Mangrove jack kit 1.7kg
LDME 1.5kg
Carahell 0.2kg steeped for 30 min or so
Hallertauer Mittelfruh 10g boiled for 20 min
Hallertauer Mittelfruh 10g boiled for 5 min
Hallertauer Mittelfruh 10g dry hopped
Brewed with S23 at around 12 or so.
Brew size 20L at
5.7% ABV.
18.6EBC
23.8 IBU

I'm aiming to bring down the EBC to have a more true to style helles. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? I've done full extract beers before so no problems there. ABV doesnt really concern me, if it turns out lighter in alcohol thats fine. The mangrove jack EBC is quite high 13.0 compared to the coopers bavarian lager 4.9. Switching those two and bumping up the brew size seems to do the trick (in Ian's spreadsheet), but i cant seem to source the coopers BL kit in hobart anymore. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

I'm guessing you can't source the Bavarian Lager kit anymore because it isn't in production anymore. ;)

They do have one called European Lager, which may be the same thing just renamed, or it may be a different kit. The last time I did a BL kit was about 10 years ago so no real idea about how the two compare.

Latest posts

Back