Multiple heat pads off one temp controller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraser's BRB

Reaction score
The issue I have is that I have fridge space to ferment at least 3 brews at a time (1 in one fridge, at least 2 in the other) but only one temp controller per fridge.

Whilst I understand that with one temp probe I won't be able to monitor each of the two brews in the bigger fridge at once, but they both definitely need a heat pad underneath at this time of year. I figure that in the same space, there won't be a huge temp differential between the two brews so the first point shouldn't be a big deal?

I'm running the KK MKII temp controllers. Has anyone tried/is there any (electrical) reason I can't run two heat pads off the back of my temp controller via a power board?

The only other alternative I see is reducing my brew schedule (don't really want to) or spending more on another temp control (money's tight)?

Fraser's BRB said:
but they both definitely need a heat pad underneath at this time of year. I figure that in the same space, there won't be a huge temp differential between the two brews so the first point shouldn't be a big deal?
why don't you just heat the fridge space with the 2 brews to the right temp rather than each individual fermenter?

crowmanz said:
why don't you just heat the fridge space with the 2 brews to the right temp rather than each individual fermenter?
It's a large two door (glass) commercial fridge, like your standard Coke fridge at the corner store. It's a big space to heat and due to the glass doors, even with double glass, it's not particularly well insulated. Also the fridge is outside due to noise and space so it's exposed to big temp swings in 24 hours.

I feel that in order to heat the whole space I'd need a pretty serious heater in there that may draw too much power?

It's difficult at this time of year because to date this year we've been as low as -3 deg overnight but the day time temp can get into the low to mid 20s in the same 24 hour period..

Have you tried using a single head pad placed indirectly in the fridge - i.e. not in direct contact with either of the fermenters? I place mine on its side away from the FV. As long as both/all FVs have a similar volume you would only need to monitor the temperature of one. You might be right about the size of the fridge and the poor insulation, but you may also be pleasantly surprised if you haven't tried it yet.

rossbaker said:
Have you tried using a single head pad placed indirectly in the fridge - i.e. not in direct contact with either of the fermenters? I place mine on its side away from the FV. As long as both/all FVs have a similar volume you would only need to monitor the temperature of one. You might be right about the size of the fridge and the poor insulation, but you may also be pleasantly surprised if you haven't tried it yet.
I hadn't tried that, I was under the impression that the heat from the pad was quite low (based purely on the advertising blurb). I'll give it a go and see what happens. Cheers.

I find that I need to alternate my fermenters from top to bottom as I have the cooling system in the top of the fridge and the top stays cooler than the bottom. I just regulate by 1°c so that both over around 18°c

I've got a little fan heater from bunnings, I think it was $9. Large two door skope fridge sounds the same as yours.

It has a safety switch so it will turn off if it falls over or gets too hot.

I put a reptile heat chord in the bottom of my fridge the other day, seems to be working well. Wove it through the wire shelf so it wouldn't touch any plastic. Got it from pet barn.

Dae Tripper said:
I put a reptile heat chord in the bottom of my fridge the other day, seems to be working well. Wove it through the wire shelf so it wouldn't touch any plastic. Got it from pet barn.
What wattage? I have been looking at them and i am tossing up between the cord (is about 7 meters) a heat lamp or an old 100w light bulb i have in the shed.

Dae Tripper said:
I do this also, works really well.

The one I use is 25 watt/ 4.5m, purchased off ebay 12 months ago. Certainly enough to heat a ferment fridge for fermentation.
Bear in mind that fermentation will produce heat, so the heat cord only really kicks in during the later parts of fermentation as the heat produced drops off.

Adam.

Also if you haven't already, stick a small fan (computer/camping fridge fan etc.) in your ferment fridge. Both heating and cooling will work better with this.

Back