Muga's Portable Bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muga

Reaction score
It's been a long time in the making but it has finally started taking shape, still has a lot of work to be done to it before it's finished but for now it's just a matter of tweaking the workings of it to get the perfect beer.

The whole idea was to have a bar that could be moved as one unit, this was done by building a simple trolley with lockable wheels that the freezer and gas bottle could sit on.

So now for the pictures, it's nothing as fancy as some of the other bars that have been posted on here but it gets the job done, overall it has been a success. I'll update the photos as updates happen.

DSCN2339__Large_.JPG

DSCN2347__Large_.JPG

DSCN2348__Large_.JPG

DSCN2350__Large_.JPG

Great setup Muga & portable as well :super:

Nice one. This is what I plan on doing and you even have the same font that I want. About the gas line through the lid, I'd want to put it in the side, is there a danger in that? Also, I like those big kegs :)
What size are they?

Looks bloody great to me.

I've got access to a massive (6+ft?) freezer if I want it, and after seeing this I think it wouldn't be a bad idea..

Great job! :beer:

When drilling through a side of a chest freezer you run the risk of hitting the pipe work, once you hit that your stuffed, you'll be up for a new freezer. The lid is just insulation, no pipes at all so there is no risk of hitting them. You can always go under the seals at the back, it's probably what I'll do one I put wood on the top.

The font was a *******, the screw part at the base was to short for the thickness of the lid, was lucky to find some adaptors to make the threading longer to screw it to the lid.

The kegs are 50L kegs with the top cut off and a postmix keg top fixed to the top, they work just like a postmix keg, only they hold 50L!

Very tidy Muga. :beerbang:

All you need is an engine and you can take your show on the road too. :D

Warren -

Thunderlips said:
Nice one. This is what I plan on doing and you even have the same font that I want. About the gas line through the lid, I'd want to put it in the side, is there a danger in that? Also, I like those big kegs :)
What size are they?
[post="90371"][/post]​

Thunderlips,

I wanted to put a hole in the side of my 700L Kelinator, so rang their technical help line ($2.15 per minute) to get advice. In a nushell, pipes run round all 4 sides & they can't/won't tell you where. He asked me why I wanted to put the hole through, so told I him; then the bugger started lecturing me that it wasn't designed for cooling kegs - I politely informed him I wasn't paying $2.15 a minute to hear dribble & called it a day :) ...Jeez...

So the lid it is, or a timber rim to raise the lid & put the holes through the timber. A few guys have posted pics of this in the past - great idea :)

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
So the lid it is, or a timber rim to raise the lid & put the holes through the timber. A few guys have posted pics of this in the past - great idea :)
[post="90394"][/post]​

Thanks guys. Now that I think of it, I remember seeing a picture of someones chest freezer and he had drilled a hole in the side of the lid and another hole through the inside top of the lid.
I'd probably drill through the back of the lid so the line is out of sight.
Now it's just a matter of watching the likes of Ebay for a nice large chest freezer in my area.

One other thing Muga, how do you have the flooded font working?
I'm not sure if I'm going to go the way of flooded yet or not. Is it difficult at all? I'd imagine you'd need some kind of pump. Is it noisy?
I'm all questions today :)
The other line I see inside your freezers lid, is that for the drip tray?
Thanks.

top set up muga.
this here would be the site you are looking for.

www.oregeonbrewcrew.com/freezer/freezer.html

cheers
big d

try
www.oregonbrewcrew.com/freezer/freezer.html

cheers
big d

No need to drill at all with a chest freezer. Lines go under the rear seal without a problem. Looks the goods muga! Wheels, you could push it next to the TV or bed or even tow it along behind the lawnmower. The options are endless
cheers
Darren

It is possible to drill the side of a freezer.

Firstly, decide if you really want to do it. If your freezer doesn't have external cooling coils at the rear, then it probably has them attached to the inside of the external skin. This means that you have two separate lots of coils in the cavity to avoid.

Either way, there is only one way to do it IMO. Forget trying to chill it to see where the coils are, you need to open the lid, remove the plastic trim at the top, carefully gouge out the insulation, and see for yourself where the lines are. Measure them, mark them, measure them again.

Next pick your hole positions so as to stay well clear of the lines. Carefully drill a pilot hole in each position, and double-check your clearances before enlarging it.

Next cut some lengths of PVC pipe the same length as the gap between your inner and outer skin, and use them to maintain spacing and create a neat little port around your holes. When you have everything in position fill the void with expanding foam (following the instructions on the can, you DO NOT know better, trust me :( ). When it has dried use a sharp knife to sculpt the top so that you can glue the plastic trim back down, et voila.

Wortgames said:
It is possible to drill the side of a freezer.

Firstly, decide if you really want to do it. If your freezer doesn't have external cooling coils at the rear, then it probably has them attached to the inside of the external skin. This means that you have two separate lots of coils in the cavity to avoid.

Either way, there is only one way to do it IMO. Forget trying to chill it to see where the coils are, you need to open the lid, remove the plastic trim at the top, carefully gouge out the insulation, and see for yourself where the lines are. Measure them, mark them, measure them again.

Next pick your hole positions so as to stay well clear of the lines. Carefully drill a pilot hole in each position, and double-check your clearances before enlarging it.

Next cut some lengths of PVC pipe the same length as the gap between your inner and outer skin, and use them to maintain spacing and create a neat little port around your holes. When you have everything in position fill the void with expanding foam (following the instructions on the can, you DO NOT know better, trust me :( ). When it has dried use a sharp knife to sculpt the top so that you can glue the plastic trim back down, et voila.
[post="90412"][/post]​

Jeez wortgames, you'd have to be keen - digging out expanded foam in such a narrow gap... I guess not too bad if you want the hole near the top, but otherwise would be a nightmare...
When I drilled my fridge, I just pierced the skin, then worked away at the hole with a screwdriver, digging out the foam & then expanding the hole...
Either way, it's a pain... :)

I thought keen was the name of the game? :ph34r:

It's actually not that big a deal, a sharp chisel works well as a gouger and a vacuum cleaner sucks up all the loose stuff. It took a couple of hours I suppose. It's one of those jobs that will bite you on the @r$e if you try to take the shortcut, so do it properly.

I want this rig to be portable, so I wanted to avoid adding unnecessary height or using a font, and I reckon that for me this was actually a quicker, easier and neater option than building a collar.

freezer2.jpg freezer1.jpg

It's still not finished, I have to give it a lick of paint and add some latches to stop the lid flying off on the highway, and hopefully it will look a bit like the brother to the 2-kegger on the right. (BTW it fits 5 cornies and a 3-gal!)

:super:

carefully gouge out the insulation, and see for yourself where the lines are
Be careful and wear a dustmask,that stuff will sit in your lungs

Nice

As it's on wheels muga.....what about pushing it over here :beer:

Batz

Back