Mudd's Randall

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd

Reaction score
I'm pretty keen at the moment on trying a few different aroma hops. Was thinking during the week a cheaper way to make a randall and ended up with this.
First test tonight on whole coffee beans in my porter(don't spose I'll sleep now).

Basically cost me nothing to make (stuff I had around)and knocked it up in about 10 minutes.

The new carb caps (3ring markings) will be better as they can take the liquid connector. I've swapped to a gas connector just to try this out.

Material list
1.Old style white labs vial (these are actually a preform for soft drink bottles before they are blowmoulded)
2.Carbonator cap (preferably new universal type) keg king sell these($20)- prob most other brew shops as well.
3.Liquid connector - threaded.
4. 1x Oring -dip tube
5. Drill 10 mm and I used 3mm pilot hole.
6. Socket extension

Could just as easy use a soft drink bottle- don't know what's an ideal volume.

Next step working out how to filter outlet for when using hops particularly pellets.

Tell is what you think

Mudd

1429877762366.jpg

Might bring it in to Melb brewers meeting this week if I remember.

mudd said:
Next step working out how to filter outlet for when using hops particularly pellets.

Mudd
Fantastic mudd. For hop filtering, I reckon you should fit one of the Z carbon filter stainless gauze filters, like this

Worked out simplest filtering for hops a section of pantyhose tied at either end.
Misses insisted she go buy them for me.
Trying out on my Ella Helles now. Certainly brought out the hop aroma.

....insert suitable jokes here.

So presented my Randall design at Melb brewers meeting this evening.
Went a bit like a Microsoft Windows launch with the whole thing blocking solid with expanded hop pellets. Of course beta testing at home didn't expose these issues.
After a few tries actually were able to pour something, and the Randall was pretty well received.
So hops are a problem with blockages and I've set the club the challenge on improving on this design. So interesting to see what people show up with next month.
Mudd

Well done on the design Mudd. I was impressed with how it worked last night, even with the blockages.

So impressed that i went bin diving at home after the club meeting to rescue the WLP001 vial i thew out earlier that day!

can you increase the volume of the vessel to a 600ml and add a hose to the carbonation cap with a stainless steel scrubby on the end to filter........... just a thought.

mudd said:
10 x 100mm could be a bit big.
Not as frugal solution as I expect from you Grumpy.
Frugal?....I wasnt offering to buy it. Just suggesting you should.

Finally worked out filtering solution I think. Cut piece off braided hose about 25 mm
Stretch it out and fit over the tube fitting on the carbonator cap.

1432898279594.jpg

Put a tubing clamp (not sure if it'll work without it yet) and twist the end of the braided tube with some pliers.

1432898933828.jpg

Probably not necessary to unscrew the nipple off the carbonator cap.
Added about 1/3 to half full of hop pellets. Give it a jiggle as you insert into the yeast tube. Connect up and get some beer in there. I noticed pellets need some time to swell up. Tried shaking but think it just needs some time as well.

PIC of the tube about 30min later. Reckon it will settle in.

1432899362464.jpg

BTW this 7% IPA is a bit hard going on the commissioning phase.

Filtering stuff I've tried in the meantime is; nylon stocking=expanded hop blockage, just hop flowers/no filter=covered inlet tube restricting flow but could still pour, made a tube out of fly screen: not game trying it cos not sure what the plastic is, s/steel scourer cut up and stuffed in end after hops: let hops through and also created heaps of nucleation points so beer foamed up.
Coffee beans both whole and course cracked with mortar and pestle worked really well.
About to try another pour once its settled down for a bit.

Here's a good Randall build

Maybe a bit bigger than you're looking for though and not sure how you would modify it for use with pellets.

I'm thinking that I may have to build myself one now. Great way of trying out different hops with a brew.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Edit: Spelling

And..........

Maybe this 5" filter housing could be adapted.

Cervantes said:
Here's a good Randall build

Maybe a bit bigger than you're looking for though.

I'm thinking that I may have to build myself one now. Great way of trying out different hops with a brew.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Edit: Spulling
Yup but never liked the volume lost(1/2 to 1 L) plus the cost of the filter housing+ fittings+ extras. In this case actually I had everything lying around.

Back