Mucking around with Beermakers Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
I have a tin of Beermakers Bitter at home, so today I went to a homebrew shop and bought some US-05 yeast, 1kg golden malt and Superpride hops
(turns out work is 12 minutes drive from Grain & Grape, which is nice)

I haven't messed around with changing up recipes in about 8 years though. Took a long breach from brewing and since then just been using the yeast on the tin & whatever the tin recommends to mix with...

For this one, I was planning on using about 8-10g of hops, steeped for 10min (do I just strain out the hop debris left behind and pour in the water?)
Wereprawn recommended 10g of Pride of Ringwood, but the guy at shop said Superpride was a bit stronger so not quite sure how much to use...

Then mix in tin & 1kg golden light malt per normal

So for those with a clue, how does this recipe sound?

Ive got one on tap at the moment.
Dry hopped with 10g Cluster flowers, 15g Dr Rudi flowers and 20g POR pellets.
I prefer dry hopping over steeping.
This one is an ale and very drinkable but when made as a lager even better.

image.jpg

What's the difference between steeping & dry hopping?
As far as taste goes

I'm no expert but to me steeping (in water)gives more bitterness and seems to give off more oils which can affect the head.
Dry hopping just before cold crashing gives a pleasant bitterness with cool aroma and fluffy head.
I m still learning and experimenting with dry hopping and at the moment use around 2g per litre give or take.
Hops can be very addictive and turn a can of goo into a great beer........better than the shit I used to buy by the 30 pack,

Back