Mtn Goat - Thornbridge Crossbreed Black Ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charst

Reaction score
Planning on Making something like the Mtn Goat - Thornbridge Crossbreed Black IPA Recipe.

The Info from the Label and the Video on Crafty Pint tells me this:

Notes on thorny Goat: Black IPA
Malts: English - ale
Spec: Munich, Crystal, Chocolate, Midnight wheat (in that order on label)

Midnight wheat - Briess 550 Lovibond?
intense color but not the bitterness

6.8%
65-70 IBU

I simply can't pack that amount of grain in my Keggle BIAB without having issue getting the bag out so I'm making a smaller version with less IBU's.

The original had a Huge Juicy hop flavour and balance by a complex Choc Flavour, Not a Pronounced caramel in my opinion.
Not a strong Bitter Finish like a usual IPA or other Black IPA's i've had. I'n my mind it's more of a Black American Brown ale if that makes sense. Big hops, Balanced with body and Choc.

Fairly happy with the hops additions It's really the SPEC malts i need the advice on. and the yeast.

Batch Size: 20 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 26.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.7 IBU
BU:GU ratio: 1.01
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

TF - Golden Promise..............5.000 kg 82.0 %
German Munich Malt.............0.500 kg 8.2 %
US Briess Midnight Wheat......0.200 kg 3.3 %
UK Pale Chocolate Malt.........0.100 kg 1.6 %
UK Chocolate Malt................0.100 kg 1.6 %
Australian Crystal.................0.100 kg 1.6 %
Australian Light Crystal.........0.100 kg 1.6 %

Hops
Variety.......................Alpha..Amount.IBU
Australian Galaxy........13.4 % 20 g 36.3 60 Min
NZ Motueka.................7.0 % 20 g 4.1 10 Min
NZ Motueka.................7.0 % 20 g 3.5 5 Min
Australian Galaxy........13.4 % 10 g 3.4 5 Min
NZ Motueka.................7.0 % 20 g 3.2 1 Min
Australian Galaxy........13.4 % 10 g 3.1 1 Min
NZ Motueka.................7.0 % 20 g 0.0 At turn off
Australian Galaxy........13.4 % 20 g 0.0 At turn off
NZ Motueka.................7.0 % 40 g 0.0 Dry-Hopped
Australian Galaxy........13.4 % 20 g 0.0 Dry-Hopped

Hey Charst, I can't really offer much specific advice TBH as I seldom brew IPAs, don't know the Midnight Wheat at all or the hops and haven't tried the target beer, but it looks to be ambitious which is just fine with me. Splitting the Choc and Crystal into different types can be helpful for complexity or avoiding one- dimensional or dominant character, I did that sort of thing recently and one placed in a local comp! Also, consider adding the dark malts at mashout, seems to avoid some of the roughness.
Sorry, not much help really, but that summarises the sorts of things I'd be doing. :icon_cheers:

Hey Charst, I can't really offer much specific advice TBH as I seldom brew IPAs, don't know the Midnight Wheat at all or the hops and haven't tried the target beer, but it looks to be ambitious which is just fine with me. Splitting the Choc and Crystal into different types can be helpful for complexity or avoiding one- dimensional or dominant character, I did that sort of thing recently and one placed in a local comp! Also, consider adding the dark malts at mashout, seems to avoid some of the roughness.
Sorry, not much help really, but that summarises the sorts of things I'd be doing. :icon_cheers:
cheers i'll be trying the late dark grains i think as the original was very smooth

Any thoughts on the Spec Malt quantities? Im really just throwing 100g each of the Crystals and Choc at it as a guess and hoping the light and darks will add complexity. Midnight wheat added only to an amount that makes it dark enough. will this be enough chic flavour?

FWIW, certainly doesn't look like it will sink to me, but whether it hits the mark I have no idea. Might have to spit on the hands and hoist the sails as is Charst! :icon_cheers:

I will be very interested in how it turns out.
Have you email the boys at MG for any hints?

I will be very interested in how it turns out.
Have you email the boys at MG for any hints?

No I haven't thought about it but wasn't sure if they'd go for it. may as well try,

No I haven't thought about it but wasn't sure if they'd go for it. may as well try,
I put the feelers out today to MG and hopefully they'll give me a hint or 2

Looks like this beer is all about the hops and malts, so a neutral yeast would be my recommendation.

US-05 for dry and the equivalent in liquid (1056?) from Wyeast. If you are not familiar with US-05, you need to consider it is a good attenuator so perhaps factor that into your recipe / mashing regime.

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers:

My understanding, and I don't have any real evidence to back this up, just an idea that I remember reading/hearing this is the way it is done, that when the malts are listed like that it is generally in descending order of %. I believe I heard this in the context of the way Rogue list theirs on the bottle.
If this is true it would tend to suggest that you have too much midnight wheat in the recipe, or need to up the crystals and choc.
Just food for thought.

Yeast wise, unless something has changed Mountain Goat love their US05 dry yeast, so I'd use that.

MG are happy to share all the usual recipes, so you may be lucky unless Thornbridge want it kept private.

Cheers Ross

No News from MG yet but fingers crossed,

Thanks for the goss on the US-05,

Midnight wheat does seem like alot but it was the only way to get it dark enough.

Agree with the Malt list % bconnery thats how i generally read them too but Im not sure how much is too much with the Choc and crystal grains.
I dont want it to be cloying, may bump the Light Choc and Light Crystal to 150g

think that would be enough? too much? It was a richer than usual IPA to me.

I'd be intersted to hear what MG have to say as i'm thinking of putting down something like this soon.

There is an article in the latest Beer and Brewer about this collaborative brew (which i don't have, just read it in the cafe i frequent) but i think in that article they mention they have nelson sauvin in there too which i know isn't mentioned on the bottle. They also mentioned that they heavily dry hopped it which probably won't come as a suprise.

Sadly my local is out of this now but i remember that while it was quite hoppy it had a pretty full mouth feel and was quite malty too. I was thinking of putting in a decent amount of light crystal into my effort. Not sure though so like i said, hopefully MG have a few hot tips.

I'd be intersted to hear what MG have to say as i'm thinking of putting down something like this soon.

There is an article in the latest Beer and Brewer about this collaborative brew (which i don't have, just read it in the cafe i frequent) but i think in that article they mention they have nelson sauvin in there too which i know isn't mentioned on the bottle. They also mentioned that they heavily dry hopped it which probably won't come as a suprise.

Sadly my local is out of this now but i remember that while it was quite hoppy it had a pretty full mouth feel and was quite malty too. I was thinking of putting in a decent amount of light crystal into my effort. Not sure though so like i said, hopefully MG have a few hot tips.

no luck on a response yet but I'm going there tonight, Doubt id get to bend a brewers year on a saturday night. may have to take a weekday tour

Charst, is this the same beer you put in the Vic case swap?

If so, it certainly was a great beer.

Planning on Making something like the Mtn Goat - Thornbridge Crossbreed Black IPA Recipe.

Hi Charst,

Did you ever hear back from Mountain Goat?

I’m planning on brewing this based on your recipe. What tips/changes if any do you suggest?

Cheers,
Stu

Latest posts

Back