Mt. Hood Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a Maibock (first All grain!) on the weekend. The American recipe I am using calls for Mt. Hood hops however my LHB store does not stock these.

Any thoughts on an equivelant?

Fish

here's a link to the grower of these hops.
http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/mounthood.html
From what i can gather they are another american grown hallertau type hop which is from german origin.
Many purist and most home brew stores in Australia are of the thinking if you want such a hop then use the real thing so they will only stock german hallertau. Another example is american grown willamette which is very similar to fuggles so most stores in oz will simply only stock fuggles and say willamette is inferior.
This would not be really the case in the US but it is indeed the case here in Australia with home brew stores.
Sorry iam rambling on here but i think you get the idea.
MT hood equals a noble type german hop, maybe not the same hop at all but the german type hops would be what you would use to swap the mt hood for.

Cheers Jayse

Thanks Jayse,

I'll give Hallertau a go.

Fish

Good choice, as is hallertau is the most popular hop for a bock anyway.

Happy brewing
Jayse

Can be thought of as a strong version of Munich Helles. The serving of Maibock is specifically associated with springtime and the month of May.

Doc

I realise that my question was a bit vague :) Bit like asking "what it beer".
But thanks Doc, must say i'd never even heard of a maibock. Eisbock, and plain old Bock, but never maibock.

Crystal is also a good substitute for Mt Hood, as would Vanguard

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back