Mowers Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honda HRU 195 here brought about 15-20 years ago. Still starts first time everytime. Cant help with the self propelled bit... get all inventive aka honey i shrunk the kids etc.

My uncle worked at the Honda Motorcycle dealership in Ballina for years and raved on about the Honda mowers
He gave a self propelled one to my grandparents for christmas one year in the mid 90s and it's still going strong, I mowed their 1/3 acre block with it many times as a kid and it was easy as pie

Ride on?

goat.jpg

bradsbrew said:
gallery_9761_435_14954.jpg

You need one of these.
I had a Honda ride on mower at our last place and for hands free driving but with the essential beer I made a stubby holder out of some PVC pipe with plenty of padding and fixed it to the steering column,worked a treat.
The best thing about it was being able to drive into the shed,up to the beer fridge for a refill with out getting off the mower !

I took my old Briggs n Stratton Bunnings mower .. as mentioned in my OP..round to the local mower service guy it needed adjustment, plug, service etc so I picked his brains.

He said that the local consensus of opinion, including the mowing services in the area, is to go Honda. For home use for older farts, as the Honda 21 inch cut models are farking heavy, is to go self propelled. However they are great going forwards but can present problems reversing or doing tight turns.

However as I'm getting the Briggs mower fixed up to tidy up around trees and do a couple of stripes around the kerb (corner block) before doing the long runs with the big mower, the Honda sounds like a good solution.

I know you've said self propelled but have you looked at the Ryobi mower? I'm actually looking for a new mower myself and was leaning towards this one

Bought a Ryobi whipper snipper and put it out in the kerbside collection, heap of crap. Hope the mowers are better quality.

Is a ride on out of the question/budget? I have half an acre, plenty of crap to navigate around - sheds, trees, skate ramp half pipe, outdoor table etc and including whipper snipping am done in an hour, which was nearly 4 hours with the push mower. I can have a lawn mower beer WHILE mowing :)

FWIW about $2500 from memory for a Husqy. Worth more.

Those human powered mowers are only good for areas were there are no twigs,sticks or gum nuts ,pick any of them up and it jambs.
Poxy useless pieces of shite, .....make a bloody good cray pot weight though.

spog said:
Those human powered mowers are only good for areas were there are no twigs,sticks or gum nuts ,pick any of them up and it jambs.
Poxy useless pieces of shite, .....make a bloody good cray pot weight though.
Need to make sure the grass stays short too or they struggle. I destroyed the handle on mine but the grass was about 6 inches long.....and I'm a colossus.

Good excuse to dig up the lawn and replace with mulch and native plants.

The base is nothing at the end of the day

If the enigine is shit, well...you got a shit mower
I'd say the opposite (well not entirely). Cast aluminium deck or GTFO. Those pressed tin pieces of shit aren't worth their scrap value.
1/3rd acre I'd give serious consideration to a cheap second hand ride on. I'm on 860m^2 (so like 1/5th an acre) and in spring - **** that. I go steal mum and dads ride on. I can do the 45 minute round trip and mow the lawn in less time than it takes to push the ******* mower around in spring grass.

Most mower engines these days are pretty reliable - especially 4 stroke units.
I like Honda. Mum and dad have a Honda push and I've got a Honda brush cutter and can't fault them. My brush cutter does nothing for about 7 months of the year then starts 2nd or 3rd pull when you pull if out of the back of the shed covered in spiders and shit. Like a dream!
Having said that my old man has some chinese heap of shit that's supposedly a Honda clone down at his holiday house. Its reliable but if it is a Honda clone its build with very generous tolerances and well yeah its shit.

Get a mower guy to come in and cut it for you... life is too short.

I can watch from the brewery while someone else cuts my grass for me.

Airgead said:
Get a mower guy to come in and cut it for you... life is too short.

I can watch from the brewery while someone else cuts my grass for me.
my mower is called Scott. In the 25 years I've owned my house I've never owned a mower.

Just a necro: thanks for the advice, guys. In October I bought a Honda self propelled, still bloody good exercise, I've lost about 4 kilos since I moved in, and kept my little old Bunnings job for hunt and peck around borders and bushes.
I actually enjoy mowing as a creative gardening exercise. When I moved in the lawn was more or less paddock, I'm slowly getting it to Better Homes and Gardens standard, might even have to start talking in an Okka accent.

Honda: the mower that God uses:

mowers 1.jpg
mowers 2.jpg

Buffalo, frangipani and weatherboard.
Takes me back to nans house..

There was an old nan living here before they bunged her in the home :lol:
The rails and other disability fitments around the place can come in bloody handy after six pints. :blink:

Back