Moving to Australia - no taxes on homebrew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'd leave any exotic yeasts at home. if you're unsure about this, google johnny depp's dogs. customs here hates the idea that something is going to turn up in our island home and decimate the neighbourhood. fair enough. we didn't have rats, mice, cats, rabbits, dogs, horses, cows, cane toads or weirdly exotic beer yeast until somebody thought it would be a good idea to turn up with them. not to mention camels, goats and sheep. i could go on. now we can't get rid of the bloody things.
i spent 2years and 3days in townsville on a 2 year posting. i tactlessly reminded my employer that they'd left me to cook for 3 days longer than contract. townsville is not australia. it is a shitty hot dustbowl full of army jerks, 6th generation social security recipients and racial problems. maybe that's just like where you're from, but it ain't typically aus. it IS just like ipswich, only with water on one side. i spent half my childhood in ipswich, so i go licence on both.
other than that - we've got bilch things, braumeister, grainfather. and lots of stockists, imported and local grains, yeast from everywhere and plenty of neighbours who suddenly like you cos you're brewing your own beer.

and that's not a triantewontigon.
triantewontigons have got 3 legs and they're only poisonous in autumn. that's a quadrinidehere. they're always poisonous except in mating season (otherwise they'd kill each other). pttth. :icon_vomit:

butisitart said:
i'd leave any exotic yeasts at home.

i spent 2years and 3days in townsville on a 2 year posting. i tactlessly reminded my employer that they'd left me to cook for 3 days longer than contract. townsville is not australia. it is a shitty hot dustbowl full of army jerks, 6th generation social security recipients and racial problems.
Big difference between mammals and yeast/microbes that are already in the environment already.

Racial problems? We read this somewhere else. Would you mind elaborating?

Don't worry about any racial problems that's a storm in a tea cup,unless you go to a game of Aussie rules football and start booing then it'll be a Fckn Tsunami.
Nah just havn a go at you,you'll be alright.

customs weren't worried about depp's dogs. they were worried about what microbes they may have been carrying.

when i were in townsville, palm island blew full swing, and a lot of saturday night dissent going on in walker st (main drag). if you were there at the time you'd know what i mean. it weren't pretty. things go up and down, but things weren't stable there when they were good either.

yep - see you're from townsville - but if you're going to push for somebody's opinion who spent time on the ground there, without being natally glued to the place, then that's my opinion. and after spending too much of my youth in ipswich, i figure it's a fair call.
(everybody's got a dud opinion of somewhere). apart from that, happy brewing :party:

butisitart said:
customs weren't worried about depp's dogs. they were worried about what microbes they may have been carrying.
Yeah, diseases and such. Beer microbes (brett, lacto, pedio) are already found naturally in Australia (in fact, some expensive and hard to aquire strains of brett were isolated from Australia).

Back