Moving secondary fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangentile

Reaction score
I'm thinking of cold crashing my beer before bottling and have access to the cool room of my local club. I have a jerry can I use as a secondary fermenter, but my issue is that moving it means I need to walk it a couple of hundred meters up the street.

Even though I'll leave most of the trub in the primary, will I be defeating the purpose of clarifying the beer if I disturb it again while bringing it home to bottle? Or is it still worth it?

Thanks in advance.

If all I had for a secondary is a jerry can I think I'd skip it. Just bottle from the fermenter. A couple weeks in the fridge before drinking will accomplish about the same thing. I keep a week's worth in the fridge. One out one in. They're pretty clear after just one week.

Walking it a couple hundred meters won’t stir it up too much if you are careful. When you bring it back home for bottling can you leave it some ware cool and dark for a day or two so it can settle and warm up before bottling?

It doesn't need to warm up before bottling. It'll be fine if you bottle cold.
Cann you bottle at the club?

If all I had for a secondary is a jerry can I think I'd skip it. Just bottle from the fermenter. A couple weeks in the fridge before drinking will accomplish about the same thing. I keep a week's worth in the fridge. One out one in. They're pretty clear after just one week.
If I kept a week's worth in my fridge, where would I store my perishables?

It doesn't need to warm up before bottling. It'll be fine if you bottle cold.
Cann you bottle at the club?
I possibly could but it'd be a bit of a hassle. That said, there's not much going on there ATM!

Back