Moving - Need To Dig Up Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

To err is human, to arrr is pirate
Reaction score
Where I live I have anywhere from days to weeks until the ground freezes solid, so I have to act fast to dig out my hops because I'll be moving this winter.

Anything to watch out for? Tips/tricks from those in the know?

use a pitchfork, start wide and aim to get under it. If its been there a while it will be a decent size.

Definately a 2-beer job :icon_cheers:

Once out of the ground, I wrap in some very lighted moistened newspaper, then into a plastic bag, then into the fridge.

Keep an eye on them though as the newspaper will dry out, and may go mouldy too.

DrSmurto uses far fancier suitable material to store them in (can't recall the name of it though).

Don't be concerned when you cut the tap root, just get as much of the plant out of the ground intact as you can. They are pretty hardy weeds though!

Where I live I have anywhere from days to weeks until the ground freezes solid, so I have to act fast to dig out my hops because I'll be moving this winter.

Anything to watch out for? Tips/tricks from those in the know?

Thats sad man, I always look forward to your pictures.. I certainly hope you are moving to a house with more vertical space.

Smurto uses Coir for his zomes.

Good luck NewGuy.. hope you make it before the ice sets in :)

Yob

Cheers for the advice. I thought it would be more difficult but then again I've never done it before. ....My wife said last year "we're never moving again.....there's no way you're going to leave your hops." I guess I showed her.

Yob, I'll be taking them all but I really don't know if I'll be able to plant more than 4. The new house will accomodate more in terms of vertical space, but the house has a very large deck on the south side, which means I'll probably be making some trellises.

Listing of the new place here.

New house makes the present one look like a shithouse. Pending final inspection, we don't get possession until Feb 1, traditionally the coldest time of the year.

....Never thought I'd spend that much on a bloody house! :(

Yob, I'll be taking them all but I really don't know if I'll be able to plant more than 4. The new house will accomodate more in terms of vertical space, but the house has a very large deck on the south side, which means I'll probably be making some trellises.
Listing of the new place here.

Thats EPIC man.. nice lookin pallace.. That front yard looks prime for a few 8m high trellises!! :lol:

Trailer Park Boys make good :D

Back