Moving My Brewry.. Water Supply Issue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well SWIMBO has given me notice today..... iv been evicted from the kitchen as my brewrey.... suits me fine cos now i need to setup in the garage...

Im going to either buy an URN or a burner or make a rig to suit what i do..... however the main issue i have is water supply, My closest outdoor tap is about 20m around the house, theres no HWS or anything to tap off and its a rental so i cant just tap a line off from in the roof and install a tap in the garage.

Remidies:

Good quality garden hose with good fittings etc and a good trigger nozzle.......

run some class 12 around the perimiter of the house from the tap to just outside the door and put a riser with a tap on it.

both ideas are feasible but they will both get sun on them and on a 40c day i can see the water getting nice n hot and soaking up some nice poly chemicals..

digging anything in is not possible... so it comes down to buckets..... another possible source of infection...

what do you guys do??

Just use buckets. I still do. No chance of infection if you're boiling.

Cheers

i bucket mine, its all on the preboil side so the chance of an infection are really none existent

I run a hose to the water filter just outside the garage
Food grade hose from filter to brewery

when i used to brew in the garage, i had the same problem.

i was using the biggest stockpot i had on hand which i reckon was one of those 19lt BigW/KMart pots.

Two trips - done.

I know brew around the other side of the house (we luckily have two patios) and it's right next to the laundry where i use the unused hot water out for the washing machine, as our machine uses cold water and heats it up, so the hot water faucet is doing bugger all.

I use my no chill cubes has a lid and u can measure what u need into it.

I got 20M of the most food grade hot water rated hose I could get from a Clark rubber. I got sick of carrying 150L of water on brew days.

Makes cleanup a breeze :)

I just fill up my fermenter from inside and carry it out side, generally just two 15L trips, it's handy as well because you can measure exactly what you need

Excuse my ignorance....

Whats wrong with filling the urn up out of the garden hose?

I have a wheat beer fermenting that I did...is it going to be ok to drink?

Excuse my ignorance....

Drink water from your garfen hose. What does it taste like... Rubber. Do u want that taste.in your beer? Lots of discussions on that topic on here if u want peoples experiances.

To the OP, youve pretty much got your options outlined above unless ur willing to pay a few hundred bucks for a plumber to put a tap in at a place that isnt yours.

I'd bucket it rather than buy 20m of silicone hose at about $100. U could get away with using thin silicone hose as iys only cold water. Thin silicone is cheaper. Site sponsors sell thin silisone and would prob do u a deal on 20m.

some people report a 'rubbery' taste from the garden hose (especially newer ones), it's not food grade rated really but who hasnt grown up drinking from one?

Must admit that I do now use blue food grade hose to fill my HLT, garden hose is now relegated to cleaning duties. I guess it's just one of those things that if you havnt noticed it then probably no biggie, I hadnt but.. you know... it got to me so I went and bought some of that motor home food grade stuff, not sure if the beers tasting any different but it's peace of mind at least.

:icon_cheers:

*ed: Beaten

Excuse my ignorance....

Try filling a glass with water from the hose and drinking it. If it tastes like plastic then thats your problem. If it tastes fine, then you don't have a problem.

edit: Beaten twice, must remember to refresh before replying.

Food grade water hose, from Bunnings or caravan shops. Just let it run for a couple of minutes before using the water from it to get rid of any water that has been sitting in the hose for a while; which if you use the same hose to clean the gear when setting up* it should have clean water in it ready to fill the HLT/BIAB pot.

*I always properly clean the gear when finishing up for the day, but also give everything a quick hose down and wipe out prior to the next brew to gt rid of any dust etc.

QldKev

Green garden hose will give off that rubbery taste.
I've got some white/pink garden hose which does not give off the taste.

Cheers

Nibbo

I use the blue drinking water hose, put it on a wind-up hose reel and keep it for brewing only.
Easy as.

gc5743538309776355538.jpg

Food grade water hose, from Bunnings or caravan shops. Just let it run for a couple of minutes before using the water from it to get rid of any water that has been sitting in the hose for a while; which if you use the same hose to clean the gear when setting up* it should have clean water in it ready to fill the HLT/BIAB pot.

*I always properly clean the gear when finishing up for the day, but also give everything a quick hose down and wipe out prior to the next brew to gt rid of any dust etc.

QldKev

Bunnings don't sell food grade water hose which is rated for hot water btw (the blue stuff is for cold only)

Most of us start our brewing with cold water.

I use the blue drinking water hose, put it on a wind-up hose reel and keep it for brewing only.
Easy as.

Yea I have a hook/coil type setup just inside my garage (used for the brewery in the storage room out the back) with this hose.

I have a spray gun that I used to fill my HLT, but will probably remove that and put on a camlock on the end to attach to the valve on the tank to avoid having to stand next to the tank and fill with the gun. That way I can leave it to fill by itself (and probably with a high flow rate) whilst getting a couple of other things prepped.

Wow great response guys thanks heaps few ideas to ponder, food grade caravan hose on a reel sounds good with some good fittings and a big **** off and don't use this unless your brewing sign on it :)
Cheers for the input and hope others get some use off the topic also

Latest posts

Back