Moving Grain To W.a

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
Just finished talking to my removalist about what can and cant go into Western Australia and you would find it easier taking stuff into another country.The list is pretty exhaustive and some will require a stat dec ie stating all gardening implements are thoroughly cleaned and basically disinfected.Fair enough i reckon as we have to look after our regional agricultural people from other states microb and insect problems.However i am rather perplexed on the part where i was told no seeds at all.
I tried explaining the grain kilning process to my removalist mate and that the said grain will not germinate in a thousand years.
I believe you mate however you will still have to fill out a declaration form which will mean if the container is stopped for a spot check by customs type people then the delay will be the whole container and thus i will have a house with no furniture/an angry wife and kids.Plus potential cost etc blah blah.ie prove otherwise.

So here i am now thinking im going to have to chuck all my specialty grain plus some base malt.And also i am thinking of smuggling kilos and kilos of hops into this state.The beagles will have a field day with me.Prove its not pelletised dope.
Anyone else have dramas as a potential grain smuggler to W.A

Cheers
Big D

Wow thats hardcore!
Irony is you could prolly get a pound of weed over the border in the wheel well of your car with less sweat and hassle than some malted barley and hops.

What about shipping them in boxes of your own? Shouldn't be too expensive. Either that, brew a lot in a hurry and transfer the beer in cubes across the country, or donate your grain to your fellow brewers. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

You can ask the same question of why there is a restriction on roasted salted peanuts. But hey, agriculture is ticking along pretty well at the moment.

The issue will probably be with weevils and other insects as well as viruses/bacteria on the grain.

Chatty

Good thought NRB except where i live at the moment freight will kill me.At this stage i will have a sort through of my specialty malt and more than likely pack it into my flight luggage.I believe i am the only All Grain brewer here.

Cheers
Big D

I'd go the ship it to yourself (or family) route. Hell that is how you got it into NT.
Alternatively, can you take it with you personally ? Didn't Batz just load up the esky with ice to get all his yeasts and hops out of WA and travel to Qld ?

Doc

Didn't Batz just load up the esky with ice to get all his yeasts and hops out of WA and travel to Qld ?

Doc

Quarantine is a little more friendly going the other way :p

Chatty

Latest posts

Back