Moving Away From K&k

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuggetron

Reaction score
i read a post somewhere about how easy it is to go to grain for a small 9L batch
it was a biab
i was looking at having a go at it in the near future

can anyone tell me what i need to do a BIAB, where to get it from and a price
and if not asking too much a good first brew to do

cheers fellow drinkers

look into getting a 40 litre urn, sure you can do small batches and **** around with smaller pots but when you pour your first pint of a 10l batch you will wish it was 23l

voile squares
where from? spotlight or something?
the rest im sure i can pick up from somewhere nice and easily

Swiss voile from spotlight.

They'll try to tell you they don't have it, They do. Insist.

[EDIT: stuffed up, pretty poor timing too]

cheers peoples

any recommended brews? hops yeasts etcs

What do you like?

The board is full of recipes and all of them can be adapted to the method outlined in that thread (within reason).

honestly im open to anything i enjoy corona which i know people arent fans off due to the lack of flavour, love grolsch, anything but stouts too strong for me

look into getting a 40 litre urn, sure you can do small batches and **** around with smaller pots but when you pour your first pint of a 10l batch you will wish it was 23l

I agree it's easy to set up a biab rig so you might as well go for a 40-50L pot/urn because you won't look back. If your based in WA some guys on another forum are having a biab brew day this weekend in freo. Pm me if you want more info. If your really set on tiny batches have a look at beer smith2 I'm sure you could use a trial version to scale a full size recipe down to 9L.
Any way good luck and welcome to all grain :icon_cheers:

Then I'm not your man. If Nick details a recipe in that thread it'll probably be serviceable for you. Probably something like a Aussie/Euro lager-esque thing.

cheers for that guys giving me a big decision on what to do now
quick replies i like that

looking at small batches for now

not sure i have this right but open for any recommendations thoughts etc

2000 grams of weyermann ale malt
25 grams of weyermann Carafa Special T1 Malt
50 grams of Thomas Fawcett Crystal Malt Pale
70 grams of weyermann Carabelge Malt

Hersbrucker Hops 3 plugs at 30 mins
Hersbrucker Hops 3 plugs at 50 mins

Safale S04 yeast

if you like coronas try 2kg of weyermann pils and 25 IBU's of galena @ 60 mins (probably ~8g)
use US-05 and ferment it as cold as you can
you might even get away with using S-23 if you can keep it BELOW 17c for a week

I found voile at lincraft too du99, the issue I had was it cotton voil not polyester.

Spotlight definitely has the one your after nuggerton, go straight to curtain section and you're in business!!

If you like Corona, and decide to go with the small pot to see how it goes, then a good brew to try is:

2kg lager malt
500g flaked maize.

Mash for an hour at 66 degrees

Drain, sparge and boil with 15g Galena for 60 mins.

Combine the resulting wort with a tin of Coopers Cerveza and make up to 23L in the fermenter

Ferment with US-05

Makes a great lawnmower beer as you can see

lawnmowerMedium.jpg

This would be an easy intro to AG without spending too much. If you then decide to go bigger then the stock pot is always handy in any brewery.

how much is enough for the swiss voile, craft brewer have a bag for 20 which seems pretty reasonable

secondly i found a grolsch clone recipe, i have found all the ingredients with the exception of dry extra light extract, i need 2.25 Kg of it or a similar substitute, and irish moss, im guessing thats a clearing agent and is solely for aesthetics of the beer and doesnt affect the beer? correct me if im wrong
was looking to buy the whole brew off of craft brewer if possible, cause my local home brew shop guy is terrible i asked for lactose and it took 45 minutes to explain why i wanted lactose for a lemonade and not the pack, anyways online is my preference

i think i found the dry extra light malt
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1001

Ahh so that's how you make a lawn mower beer.. I always forgot the lawn mower. :p

Cheers

Paul

Back